Boat Ramp Help

Discussion in 'New England Flyway Forum' started by quackerduck, Jul 21, 2017.

1. quackerduck

quackerduck Senior Refuge Member

Was hoping to come do some sea duck hunting in Plum Island Sound come mid Jan.. Are there boat ramps still usable in Jan.. and if so which ones......Thanks

2. aecrowell

aecrowell Refuge Member

Check out the boat ramp in Winthrop harbor near Boston. Lots of good sea duck hunting on the Islands out side of Boston harbor. The ramp stays open unless you get a hard prolonged freeze.

3. quackerduck

Thanks for the help

4. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

If you want to go to PI sound, don't do that. (No offense aecrowell). That is a LONG *** haul from Winthrop to PI Sound. (I live there). You can put in a few different places...Cashman park in Newburyport (no permit necessary), Plum Island Wildlife refuge (just need a duck stamp). Parker River boat ramp in Newbury (Don't need a sticker in Jan), or Salisbury Beach State reservation. They're all within a few miles of each other. Carry a couple of bags of salt and a rope in your truck as none of these ramps are well maintained in January. PM me if you need more info.

5. quackerduck

Was told Cape Cod maybe a good bet. Lots of state ramps and you could hunt either side depending on the wind. Still looking . Thanks for advice

6. aecrowell

aecrowell Refuge Member

Short run to the islands outside of Boston harbor. Look at it on google earth. Lots of sea ducks fly around the islands October through January. Pick your days based on wind and set up sitting on an island in a lee. Beach your boat and gun from the rocks. Keep an eye on your vessel with a dropping tide. Scoters are there early Eiders later. I've gunned the Cape also, I think there is a jetty on the Sandwich or East Sandwich channel. Used to sit on the end of the jetty and put the boat around the corner.

7. quackerduck

Talked to a fellow in Fish and Wildlife up in Mass. He likes the Merrimack River, easy access boat ramp at Salisbury Park. If its too windy , just go into the creek for puddle ducks. It will put me nearer Browns Lobster Pond. Thanks for all the help.