Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Boat Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by Duck-Slayer, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Duck-Slayer

Duck-Slayer Elite Refuge Member

So I am thinking about getting a new boat at the end of this season, upgrading to a 20', anybody wanna give me some input, this is what i'm looking at so far,
    Grizzly 2072
    Merc 115/80 jet
    at around $19,000

thats plan open layout style with a side console... but i'm planning on making a scissor blind, than moving the console up to the front right side and a few other slit modifications, any input is welcomed.......
    D-S

2. Saladshooter

Saladshooter Senior Refuge Member

Look for an older alumaweld guide sled with either a 115 or 150 jet. You can have the same set up basically and have a much more forgiving boat. Thicker hull, Basically bulletproof and runs the skinny. If you want to see one different than Kenny's pm me and you can check out mine. Plus about 2/3 of the price depending on the power plant. That is my suggestion. I looked at the griz originally and wasn't impressed with the quality.

3. Ducks Doom

Ducks Doom Elite Refuge Member

Yep, thats good advice. I have seen some north river flatbottom sleds that are really cool as well. I thought that I wanted a console boat as well but I think I would be hard pressed to go away from the tiller now. Heres one like Saladshooter is talking about.

http://medford.craigslist.org/boa/758755602.html

4. swampswimmingshrek

swampswimmingshrek Elite Refuge Member

All great advice.

Here is mine. A tracker weighs in at 1200#. A 115 motor weighs in at 375# 12 gallons of fuel is 96#.

A 18' boat is about all the bigger I would run a 115 on. For comparison matt my 17' boat came with a 115.

Also a boat that weighs 1700 pounds with out gear is to heavy for a .100 bottom like the tracker has. Also your going to hate a 20' boat if you ever beach it. A 20' boat needs a 150 or your going to get performance like you have now out of your other boat. Personally if I was in your shoes I would sell your 60/40 and put a 115 on your boat. Your boat would be killer with a 115.

If your dead set on getting a huge boat listen to everyone and get an alumaweld or something like that they are a dime a dozen and will take 10X the beating. You could even steelhead fish with a nice alumaweld. But I would leave the grizz at home. :tu let me know if you need help finding a sled. :tu

5. Saladshooter

Saladshooter Senior Refuge Member

Doom, That is my baby....Just the same model and such. But I have it camo'd out and added a scissor blind for the waterfowl season and add rod holders and downrigger for fishing season.

6. swampswimmingshrek

swampswimmingshrek Elite Refuge Member

7. Duck-Slayer

8. Duck-Slayer

Thanks for the help everyone.......
    D-S

9. Ducks Doom

Ducks Doom Elite Refuge Member

Cmon Bryce. Talk about a pig. If you got that thing beached call a tow truck. That boat is a sweet looking ride don't get me wrong, but if I was going to buy that stout of a boat I would make it a inboard. It would be a shame to camo that boat and hiding it would be a pain for duck hunting. I wouldn't mind having that boat for steelhead though, it would be perfect fot that.

10. IdahoMike

IdahoMike Senior Refuge Member

My thoughts exactly :tu