Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Boat Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by Duck-Slayer, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Ducks Doom

Ducks Doom Elite Refuge Member

You absolutly would be ahead in the game to find a good used boat. There are a ton of deals with good used jets on em. You are right about picking up say a older 18 ft custom weld sled for $5000 run it the way it is for a couple of years, or dump a optimax jet on it and sell the original motor. I saw a older mid 80's 18 foot sled for sale a couple of months ago with a brand new optimax 115 jet for $10,000.

2. Duck-Slayer

Duck-Slayer Elite Refuge Member

just to let you know you can get a 1860 seaark Modified V with a tunnel hull and an 115/65 yamaha for alittle under 18g. Oh and it comes with a custom duck blind on it and a side console.... if your interested call Larry at 509-545-9612 tell him Matt sent you from Idaho.......
    D-S

3. swampswimmingshrek

swampswimmingshrek Elite Refuge Member

Only think I can see that would be a problem on that boat is the Yamaha. 4 strokes are to heavy, and wrap up to slow for good performance out of a jet. Man when this thread is done you guys will be all jet boat pro's.:yes

Used boat in good shape, then dump an optimax on it. :tu Just for a heads up make sure you sit down before you get the price on the optimax.:yes It will make it up to you with the extra fuel mileage, and nice starting. :yes

4. gonehuntingagain

gonehuntingagain Senior Refuge Member

I want one of these:

http://www.phantomjetboat.com/index.htm

Any of you guys try one of these boats? Looking at some of their pictures, I don't know if I would have big enough stones to try half of the stuff they are doing!

5. reggart

reggart New Member

This thread pretty much kicks @$$. I haven't found this much real information on anything I have ever been interested in.

I see a lot of you guys talking about using jets for duck hunting. Are you actually building blinds big enough to cover up an 18 ft. sled?

I want to get a small Lowe for the snake this fall, I already have a 15 hp evindrude to slap on it. I am thinking a mod V 14 ft. The wider model.

Slack water only for right now, I am down in Clarkston and if I want to hunt in the shallow water there are plenty of places to access from a road.

6. Saladshooter

Saladshooter Senior Refuge Member

Yes. Some of us build big *** blinds for our 18-20' boats. Of course the boat is already camo'd out and it just is used to break up outlines, make nice soft lines like nature and such.:D

Shooter...

7. jaeger19

jaeger19 Elite Refuge Member

Yep, you can camo your boat and hunt out of it. My boat is an outlaw jet with the blind system build in.
    It does make it nice to pull up to an island and hunt right out of the boat.
    However, there are downsides to hunting directly out of the boat too.
    First, you have to have a blind on the boat and this means WEIGHT. and weight and particularly weight placement is critical on a jet boat. Too much weight forward OR aft can mess you up especially in skinny water. I personally like my boat stripped out, (not even seats) since the ability to move 50 pounds forward, back or to the side can make a difference in how you run. The more gear that is locked down, the less ability to adjust your trim.
    The second thing from hunting out of the boat is that a lot of guys are doing that now... so some of the better places to hunt are in the backwaters, so the jet gets you close but you have to hump from there.
    The third issue is that if a dog gets in trouble or you need to retrieve ducks or geese, the boat doesn't work well as a chaser.
    Hunting out of a blind and then parking the boat DOWNSTREAM a hundred or so yards can be very helpful.
    HOPE this helps

8. Toothshucker1

Toothshucker1 Senior Refuge Member

about the yamaha vs. optimax. Before I bought my hide was looking at the SeaArk and talked to the guy up in Burbank. He actually was mentioning a client from Idaho that had put a yammy on his boat and was having trouble with performance. That guy swithched to a merc.

9. Ducks Doom

Ducks Doom Elite Refuge Member

I talked to a guy in tri-cities about buying his boat 18 ft g3. It had a four stroke on it and he said his boss had the same boat, with a smaller optimax than his four stroke and he said his boss flat ran circles around him.

10. Duck-Slayer

Duck-Slayer Elite Refuge Member

I havn't ran a yamaha before so I wouldn't know, but I have a merc now and love it........ So I think when I do get a new boat it'll be the Merc.....
    D-S