Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Boat Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by Duck-Slayer, Jul 29, 2008.

1. birdhunter98

birdhunter98 Senior Refuge Member

Gonehunting, I know someone with one of those phantom boats and they love it. Runs super shallow and is a good handling boat. Only problem is the$30,000 price tag that comes with it.:z

2. gonehuntingagain

gonehuntingagain Senior Refuge Member

A guy can dream.... :cry

Heck, 30G is still cheaper than a duckworth or some of the other jet boats....but it is still WAAAYYYYYY more than I can spend, at least for now....

3. brycec

brycec Senior Refuge Member

I've got the Yamaha 60/40 4stroke jet on my 1652 roughneck. I can't say that it is worse than an optimax because I've never been around the optimax, but I can say it seems a little heavy for my boat. I'm thinking that adding pods would correct this though. It weighs about 265lbs. What does the optimax in the same size way?

4. Jacob Hyer

Jacob Hyer Elite Refuge Member

I was going to add a 40/30 jet to my boat but after finding out that the pods would not work and I didn't want to cut them off... so Mud motor it is...

Jake

5. brycec

Why would they not work? Are the ones you put on too big to fit with a jet?

6. Jacob Hyer

Jacob Hyer Elite Refuge Member

the pods I put on my boat are the Large BT pods and IMHO if I went with the small pods they wouldn't have worked... the pods I have now work great but they just lift the azz end of the boat just enought to do the job right... the small onces would have been a waist of time and money....

anyways when it came time to put the jet one I wanted to make sure that the yammi Jet 40/30 would work with the pods and it didn't the jet foot would hit the pods and limited the turning a ton... not a option for me... I have raduis with the mud motor... now you have a larger bottom boat than I do but it will would be cutting it close... don't know what motor and foot your running but it looks like it larger... If I were you I would get the measurments of the BT large Pods and cut up some carboard... what your trying to see is if the foot will hit the bottom of the pod... if it does than I would look into having some custom pods made... just some food for thought...

Jake

7. swampswimmingshrek

swampswimmingshrek Elite Refuge Member

Yeah your screwed. You don't want to go to the Optimax. The smallest motor in optimax is 75 horse and its the same size and weight as a 90 or 115. Now if i were in your shoes I would look at the E-tec pretty close. I notice the 60 only weighs 240#.

8. brycec

I think I could gain a ton more just relocating the batteries to under the front deck. Going from 265 to 240 is basically just the same as only putting 11 gals of gas in instead of 13 gals.

Jake,
    I need to fab up some cardboard pods and see how big I can get them. I'm doing ok without the pods, but I think they would help. I just can't bring myself to paying the money for custom pods or the BT smaller ones when I'm not sure I would get much benefit.

9. swampswimmingshrek

swampswimmingshrek Elite Refuge Member

Your correct a weight switch is the easiest change. The pods will help also.

You can also benifit by removing one battery if you have 2. Fuel tank placement is also another easy change. Remove the one in the rear deck put one under the front. But before you do all of these changes let me put a little bug in your head.

With all the weight in the rear you can load it all you want in the front. (decoys, dogs, ect.) Move the weight so that everything is already balanced it is a lot harder to load your boat. Also pods will reduce your ability for the hull to plan out if installed wrong. Another thing to keep in mind is pods are forcing the rear up with in turns forces the nose down. You get a big load you have the whole hull dragging instead of just the rear when your trying to plane.

Just some food for thought desicion is yours.

10. brycec

I think moving the batteries is about the easiest thing. It would be hard to get my fuel tank somewhere in the front deck since mine is one of the rec hulls with foam everywhere and just little compartments.

You are right about the load all going in the front, but I do a lot of hunting by myself with just a couple dozen dekes and the dog. That still leaves nearly all the load in the back.

I always wondered why they didn't put the console on these center console versions right at the step up to the front deck. That would help a ton.