Bona Fides

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Rubberhead, May 25, 2017.

1. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

I shot a limit of ducks and snipe opening day here last year. My apprentice didn't do very well on the ducks but he got his limit of snipe after I flushed 100 to get his last 3.

Last year I think I shot 8-9 limits on 10-11 hunts. The legs and thighs are great eating too. White meat like quail.

API likes this.
  2. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Interesting... The snipe here have a dark mead, similar to dove, with a very distinctly marbled look to the meat... First birds I cleaned, I thought were bad (due to the marbled appearance).

API likes this.
  3. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

It is beautiful up there. So many hidden gems.

I shot a moose in the BWCA. 300 Win Mag. I posted the pics of it on here years ago. But I don't think that they are still on here. I'll see if I can dig them up.

I've done a few solos back in my younger days in the BWCA/Quetico. Mostly up and down the Kawishwi river camping where ever vs a designated site. I have also done a lot of winter camping out of Sawbill and Ely.

API likes this.
  4. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

I used to trip in/through the Quetico twice a year. Haven't gone back since the live bait ban. Man we caught a lot of nice fish up there........would really like to take the kids.

6 mile long portages - you need to slow down and base camp - yer killin' yerself. ;)

Will be in Whiteshell Provincial park at the end of July.

pintail2222 and API like this.
  5. pintail2222

Have a great and big free - time.

Come the fall you can find some grouse along those long portages.

API likes this.
  6. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Ya know, thus far all my trips to Canada have been about ducks and geese, but this fishing thing sure looks attractive. The "portage" part doesn't seem too fascinating though.

7. API

Would be interesting to see a picture. All I can visualize is a case of rice breast which they say is ok but doesn't look very attractive.

8. pintail2222

Portages suck. Let the paddle whisper.

Pull up your canoe and unload your gear. Put a duluth pack on your front and back - lift a canoe up on your back and then go walk along a bunch of wet rocks.

9. API

Izzat from the buck naked skivvies and fire hose pants folks fame? True confession... I have some fire hose pants.

IMG_1252.JPG

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  10. pintail2222

Are a few of those greater canadas? Da big honkers. :tu

"Duluth packs" have been around going back to the days of the voyagers traveling up and down the Hudson Bay in canoes - trapping and carrying pelts.

Today's "Duluth Pack Co." used to be Duluth tent and awning before it blew up to what it is today. One of the guys got the boot about 10 years ago and went and started Frost River. I like their gear because you can get it in wax canvas.

API likes this.