Bona Fides

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Rubberhead, May 25, 2017.

1. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

All this upland bird talk has me wishing it was Sept 1st and grouse season just opened! We're very fortunate out here with the quantity and quality of upland birds we chase.
    Ruffs and blues..Huns and Chukar, a few types of quail and ditch chickens.

Goofy red meated Hun is just plain fun to shoot. Moderate terrain, big coveys and usually plentiful. Fried in butter, with chanterelle mushrooms, spooned over rice.

IMG_0272.JPG IMG_0279.JPG

Squaller, API and Ducker 4 Ever like this.
  2. blacktail

Forgot how good these taste. Was down south in Cartel land last week, and opted to fish live horse mullet on the bottom one day.
    IMG_0193.JPG IMG_0196.JPG

3. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

I love eating fish. Grouper more than just about any other type. I love to be able to catch them somewhere inside 30 miles, though.

4. blacktail

Those big ones were caught in 40' of water just off the beach. Lost a few to the rocks. Lock down the drag, throw the boat in gear, and hold on!
    Have a BBQ grill at the condo. Rolled in some olive oil, garlic, squeeze some lime...hot grill. We flat out ate some grouper! Makes a good ceviche as well.

API and Ducker 4 Ever like this.
  5. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Indeed there are nine greater honkers on the wood pile. Three limits (the photographer got his limit too).

pintail2222 likes this.
  6. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

The breast is just like a dove. They have lines of fat over the breast and I'm guessing that is what you mean by marbled.

But most people don't know the legs and thighs are white meat. Save them. Very good eating too.

Snipe are my favorite upland bird. Unless I could hunt pheasants in 70 degree weather, flush dozens within shotgun range and keep a limit of 8.

Only ruffed grouse taste better than snipe. But they are a whole other headache to hunt. Cover in olive oil then dried herbs and bake.

API and Squaller like this.
  7. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

Woodcock are the same way, only twice the size. The back half of a woodcock is just like a quail.

I do my share of snipe hunting too...

[​IMG]

eel river, pintail2222 and API like this.
  8. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Hit the beach at first light this morning using light tackle (#6 lb test). Among the catch was a couple of noteworthy items...

Corbina
    IMG_2730.JPG

Spotfin Croaker
    IMG_2735.JPG

yellowlab03 and eel river like this.
  9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Did some dove hunting this weekend... My oldest was home sick this weekend, but my youngest headed out with me...

Hunted with a new pup for the first time, and she did surprisingly well. Although I trained her to lie down in the tub at home (which is no small effort), it is a completely different task when dove are flying, and shotguns shooting...

This is our third day of the season, and she has picked up most of 45 birds (she did not pick up birds she broke on), and some of my brother-in-laws on the opener. She marked and retrieved every bird today without breaking once, and never came close to losing a bird... And, she has already learned to watch where my gun is pointing...

My daughter was a trooper as well, and we had a long morning, and there was no complaining or asking to go home.

Uncle John hunting with Kierra on the opener:

1-1-17-01.jpg

Daddy, Saidee, and Kisa on the opener:

1-1-17-02.jpg

Opening day take:

1-1-17-3.jpg

Kisa and Saidee hangin' out this morning:

9-3-17-5.jpg

Saidee finished her limit, and handled the 20 ga. well this morning:

9-3-17-4.jpg

10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Nice pics. Love the smile on your daughter. Looks natural, not forced!!!!

Squaller likes this.