Bona Fides

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Rubberhead, May 25, 2017.

1. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Outstanding! ...love that smiling lab too.

2. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Got my pup some retrieves opening morning. The teal hole turned into a goose hole. Wasn't setup for them and we ended up shooting 4 of these damn things with number 4 and 6 steel that surprisingly killed them DOA.

Attached Files:

pintail2222, Michael and API like this.
  3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I keep telling @Ravenanme it can be done, (and I have done it) under the proper conditions, but he insists it isn't possible.

4. buck_master_2001

The sixes were 2 3/4" 1pz at 1359 fps. The cheap steel gameloads. I would call BS too if I didn't see it with my own eyes.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Yup, that is what I used. I had a small field, and was concerned with fratricide to the buildings. DSC01078.JPG

buck_master_2001 likes this.
  6. Native NV Ducker

As to the 4's, I killed 3/4 of my geese in the last few years with 4's, and ALL my geese in Canada last year.

API likes this.
  7. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

I'm impressed. All of the goose loads I own are either 2 or B.

Native NV Ducker likes this.
  8. Native NV Ducker

Assuming 2 things....
    1. You can shoot 'reasonably' well
    2. You can bring the birds inside 35 yards

4's, and 3's (that is ALL I shoot anymore, in my 20ga) are all you need. The head/neck on a goose are as big, in total, as the vitals in a duck. At 35 yards, 3's will get to the heart/lung on an incoming/crossing shot. They WON'T get there on a pure going away shot.

2's and BB's WILL get to those vitals, but the heart and lung are small targets. We all hear the 'But, I hit him hard, feather flew, and he just kept going" comments. Yea, you put 9 BB's in his butt, and he WILL die, but not right now. We have to quit thinking about penetration, and worry more about hitting a vital. *BTW, I have no complaint with 2's, especially in a 12ga, they give enough pattern density in most cases*

If you are shooting out to 45-60 yards, stick with those BB's, and shoot a tight choke.
    I have 2 cases of Fiocci BB's, 3", for $5 a box, for sale. I will never use em.

9. buck_master_2001

I shoot 2's and 3's on early geese and even South James Bay population geese as they are a little smaller. However, those big fat azz resident geese in late January and February? No way in hell. Those are beasts of birds with an ungodly amount of fat and down. You better hit them in the head and neck. I shoot BB for those. Most people I know shoot BBB and there's been times I wish I did too. Could I sharp shoot them in the head? If my shooting stays on. Why risk throwing little underpowered steel into a bird though? I owe it to the bird to kill it as cleanly as possible. I would rather have that fudge factor in there. I have found old steel in quite a few birds buried in their breast or against their rib bone.

10. Native NV Ducker

Yea, a lot of that is true. This has all been hashed out on the Shooting Forum. I talk about what works for me, the way I shoot, the way I hunt. I shoot an O/U, so that going away shot (3rd shot) never happens. I hunt alone, so no pressure to raise up on birds at marginal ranges. I rarely even hear another shot, much less see another hunter, and I know I am blessed in that regard.

A 1 1/4oz load of BB's is 90 pellets. 'They' say you need 85-90 hits in the 30" circle to assure a clean kill on a goose. There are 178 #3 pellets in the same size load. So, I can shoot a little more open choke, keep my pattern density out to the 40" circle, and be pretty sure of taking out that head/neck. With that pattern density, out to 40 yards, if I do shoot behind the neck, I am still going to break a wing for sure, if not some other vital. (NOT for a pure going away shot!!!) Fact is, I don't raise up on birds beyond 40 yards.

Again, all been hashed out on the SF. There are some that called me crazy when I posted my Roster threads. Now, some of them are converts, because they tried smaller shot and it worked.

Big shot kills birds too. Use what you have confidence in. I ain't gonna kick you outta my blind cuz you got BB's in the tube. But I will smirk a little bit if I out-shoot you.