Bona Fides

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Rubberhead, May 25, 2017.

1. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Once the kids get some age it is a lot of fun to get back into duck hunting. A blind or pit is a great place for kids, they can roast marshmallows on a camp stove, or play video games, or whatever. They can also invite friends as long as you are up to it. Keep the blind dry and at least partially warm and enjoy the time with them. I probably miss the youth ducks seasons more than I miss my own trips to AR and ND.

API likes this.
  2. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

I don't know that your theory holds much water, but there is always that "one off" situation. I know, because I and good friend jumped (and missed) a drake cinnamon in Central KY years ago. We were floating a river for geese, and loaded with BBB. Came around a corner and there he was at 20 yards - easy to see and ID. What came next was the nightmare of watching 3 rounds make splashes into the water while Mr Teal made a safe getaway.

We eventually decided that he likely was an aviary escapee, since there was a fairly large waterfowl breeder about 20 miles away.

How do you propose getting your Harlequin? They are on the east coast but I don't see a day when they will be legal.

API likes this.
  3. Tuck31

Tuck31 Elite Refuge Member

Spent most of my youth barefoot with a fishing pole in my hand during the summer (picture Huck Finn on the Connecticut River) From age 5, fall was spent roaming around the mountains of Vermont and Western Mass with my dad as he scouted for whitetail deer. This was his passion, and became mine. Became a proficient trapper at 12, muskrats mainly, and saved the money to buy a Remington 1100 in 12 Ga to hunt Ducks (puddle jump), and occasionally pheasant, deer (Mass was and still is shotgun only), and turkey. Got a Remington 742 in 30-06 for Christmas in 1978 so I could hunt VT with dad the following fall. Will never forget missing a fat doe at 15 yds broadside from my tree stand with a bow my first evening hunting.

College and law school in Boston followed. Moved to San Francisco for a job in 1991. A good friend who grew up near Redding CA invited me pig hunting, then deer, bear, and turkey hunting up near Shasta in 1997. I was hooked again. Bought a Model 70 in 30-06, Benelli M1 12 ga and a yellow lab, Kobe. Began hunting refuges when time allowed (limited because of kids and work) to scratch the itch; this was quite an experience, especially for a kid who only puddle jumped in New England. I shot ducks only (mostly what you find at the refuges--Gadwalls, GWT, greenheads, Sprig, bootlips and the occasional divers). I get out only 5-8 times a year for this now, if there is time.

Best thing ever is I began flying back east to hunt with my dad in 1998 (archery in MA and rifle in VT open at the same time) for a 10 day stretch every year, and haven't stopped since. Shot a fair number of bucks in both states. Especially sweet when we both connected. He can't do it anymore but I still go and call to give him the end of day hunt recap every evening. Don't hunt deer in CA, but put info for tags in a dream zone and don't get pulled.

Have 2 daughters 17 and 14. Real tough getting them into it because we live in the Bay Area, we aren't rich, and they both play high level competitive soccer. Both have passed hunter ed (partially to humor me and part because they are intrigued by my love of wildlife and hunting). Got the older one a 870 20 ga for Christmas a few years back as she likes to shoot birds. She has shot pheasant and ducks with me and the first dog (Kobe, RIP) and now with Tucker. She's a better shot than me, usually dropping what she points at with 1 shot. No luck getting on turkeys when hunting with her on public land, but have only got out a couple of times. Younger one only wants to shoot mammals (pig/deer/elk). She got a .243 for Christmas and looking to take her on a friend's ranch for pigs in the fall when she doesn't have a game. She'd love to go to VT with me but school and soccer interfere.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    por boy, I missed?, API and 1 other person like this.
  4. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

You folks will be hard pressed to find a more dedicated fowler than RH.

I can't remember a day in my life I wasn't thinking about a better mousetrap on how to kill a duck.
    60-70 days minimum. Only thing that gets in the way is some big game hunts in oct/nov.

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

5. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Since '81....and plenty on here remember my sideline duck boat days, and some invariably still run them. I just happened to mostly grow up on the shore of THE duck water in my state....which just led to hunting them wherever I could....up to and including teal on flooded retention ponds off the Euphrates in Iraq, with a borrowed A5 20ga.....which is proof there's probably ducks everywhere there's an X. LOL

stevena198301 and API like this.
  6. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

My BP was on a good size "cliff" over looking the Euphrates outside Al' Qaim. I was always looking for ducks but never did see any. Seen lots of quail, foxes and hedgehog though.

API likes this.
  7. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 Elite Refuge Member

Doesn't look like its going to go that way. My son is pretty wrapped up in soccer, basketball, and kung fu, that pretty much occupies all of our free time. His sisters seem to be following in his footsteps, but swap kung fu for dance. At this stage in the game, its all about them, so if they are enjoying themselves, and out being active and not sitting on the couch with their face buried in a phone, I'm happy. My son loves his Nerf guns, and has been playing one of the duck hunting games I have on my phone and he did ask this year if I would take him hunting, so all is not lost. We will see.

8. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

Between Jigsaw and Wrist Lake in Woodland Caribou Provincial Park

You will have to zoom out to see where that is at. It was about 8 years after the fire. This was my camp on Jigsaw Lake, 8 days into a 13 day solo trip. A very cool place to be on the summer solstice in 2015...all by yourself.

API likes this.
  9. Dale C.

Dale C. Senior Refuge Member

I love to hunt from, and build boats. These pics are of my latest build. This scull boat is my own design. After many years of hunting out of various types of scull boats, I took the best features of each boat, and melded them into my design. I am very pleased with all the modifications. This is all fiberglass, made off of a male mold. If you are curious here is a link to my build. http://thescullersforum.freeforums.net/thread/7/dale-leonards-build-double-nickel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rubberhead and API like this.
  10. yellowlab03

yellowlab03 Elite Refuge Member

We caught a bunch of hedgehogs in Orgun-e, my platoon sergeant made us turn them loose because he thought they were going to give us squirrel aids.

YL03

API likes this.