Bona Fides

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Rubberhead, May 25, 2017.

1. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

I wish I could say I was as consistent of a waterfowler as some of you.

I shot my first bird (Drake GWT) at age 12 while running muskrat traps. I was ate up with waterfowling for the next 8 years, but finally took a break during the early steel shot years. All of my buddies did the same - and we all had the same comment about - shooting ducks, blowing out wads of feathers, and watching them fly off.

We all came back into the game with the advent if the 3 1/2" 12. The steel shot wasn't that much better but at least we could kill birds again. We also got seriously into dogs about this time.

Nowadays I enjoy the hunt but enjoy the dog work more. Been on a couple interesting hunts since moving here to NC (curtain blind and layout boat) that weren't as enjoyable as I thought they would be, knowing the dogs were back at home.

API likes this.
  2. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Squirrel Aids. Ha!
    We used to get out on patrol at night through the wide open desert and find hedgehogs. The one my friends and I had for a while was a cool lil' SOB. We named him Jeff. They are a neat lil' critter.

API likes this.
  3. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Everything I did revolved around waterfowling. Careers...vehicles...bad habits...everything. My Wife and I came to a compromise that she'd never interfere or ask me not to go out if we went on a vacation of her choice every summer. She'd pay for the vacation so I was in. She actually encouraged me one year to re-up with the club I had hunted with for years. Money was tight on my end of the bargain and she said sign-up...we can work it out.

I introduced our Daughter to duck hunting and she took to it like a duck to water. Took and introduced a lot of her schoolmates and many still hunt. She lost interest to fishing and that's the way that went.

Believe it or not in almost 35 years of hunting, sometimes almost every legal day, I never shot a mallard drake. For some reason they land about forty miles north of us and forty miles south of us. We had a big truck cluster and guys all bunched up at the lease gate one morning. It was on one of the timber bottom club leases. (Avian Quest knows the place. I've hunted with AQ and his sons. A true gentleman waterfowler.) I'm thinking that's unusual because everybody usually just leaves. Guy had shot a greenhead and it was like he'd shot a double-banded and collared Greater Canada goose. It was a literal traffic stopper.

Won't ever duck or goose hunt again. Don't even know if my neck could take the recoil of a shotgun. Not willing to find out. However, I thank-God for the memories and good times. And the memories of good family...good friends...and great Dogs. Thank-you God...Amen.

por boy, Ducker 4 Ever, API and 4 others like this.
  4. yellowlab03

yellowlab03 Elite Refuge Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Handful from a few years back. I didn't get a chance to hunt in Fayetteville...mainly because that place sucks and I was too busy.

YL03

Squaller, Rubberhead, API and 3 others like this.
  5. yellowlab03

yellowlab03 Elite Refuge Member

I started out deer hunting, then went with a buddy and his dad coon hunting. Worst decision of my life! I eventually had 13 walkers and stubborn blue tick named suzie... she was a real B! I ran hounds for bear and anything that would climb a tree in the Sierras, just outside of Yosemite. Then joined the Army, got married, moved into an apartment and picked up duck hunting. I grew up my entire life surrounded by some of the best duck clubs in California and never duck hunted. The owners used to let me run my dogs on them on the off season to help knock down the coon population. That and skunks... damn I hate skunks. I fish more than anything now, but will be getting the decoys out this season.

YL03

por boy, API and Bear like this.
  6. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

A lot of what I thought Bear after I got sick, I'm just to thick headed to give it up. Did Ok this year, can't do half as much as I used to but I still shot my fill of ducks.
    Give it a try may be good medicine for you.

API and Bear like this.
  7. 3inch3's

3inch3's Illinois Forum Moderator Moderator

Actually got my start hunting with my Grandpa chasing quail. Got to be an excellent shot on them so much so that when Grandpa would bring a friend, they always walked the opposite side of the fence. My first day waterfowling was at a WMA in IN that required steel..... very frustrating morning missing a bunch of birds. The guys were having a good time at my expense until one shot a high flyer and the other asked how much lead he used.... the light came on. I was used to snap shooting as the birds flushed usually going away. Next 4 shots were on the money.... next came a boat, decoys, dog, more decoys.............

API likes this.
  8. snipe n

snipe n Senior Refuge Member

I could reluctantly give up fishing, deer hunting, and other pursuits.
    I would NOT give up water fowling over decoys, unless there was a biological reason the sport could not continue. Still duck hunt 25 days or more with my father who is 73 and my two boys whenever they can at 18 and 16. (hunt geese a few more days)
    I have dabbled in the PAF. Mostly to find out that it brings no joy. There is always division between the silent majority and vocal minority. Vocal Minority is such a buzz kill especially with President Trump. I would think if nothing else they would of supported the Supreme court returning to pro second A.

API likes this.
  9. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

upload_2017-5-26_8-0-53.png

Picture of a good morning with friends.

Rubberhead, Bear and API like this.
  10. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I'll hunt just about anything. This is from years back when I had good legs. A limit of GA wood ducks and timberdoodles with my AWS Rufus.

Rufus.jpg