Bona Fides

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Rubberhead, May 25, 2017.

1. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

Second stand of the morning. Us first pic- 9 light wind, 20180128_091829.jpg 20180128_091510.jpg

The_Duck_Master and yellowlab03 like this.
  2. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Crappie through the ice probably tastes almost as good as yellow perch through the ice!

3. Ron Gilmore

Well shootings skills must have been left out on the ice. Managed two but should have had 5. Buddy said I was lifting my head at time i was firing.

But great day none the less. But FYI, it is dry, dry. We drove around like it was Oct. Never put the vehicle in 4 wd. No snow so no wetland replenishment.

4. Ducker 4 Ever

Ducker 4 Ever Elite Refuge Member

Lets see some pics of the dead dogs Ron!

blacktail likes this.
  5. Ron Gilmore

Buddy took those. Will ask him to send them.

6. Ron Gilmore

20180128_220836.jpg

7. La. Legend

La. Legend Elite Refuge Member

That's because you Yankee boys don't know how to cook

8. Ron Gilmore

Old timers that I learned to hunt from where subsistence hunters and if they passed on them well that was all I needed to know. They ate jack rabbits, and all kinds of creatures but nor Caca shovelers!

9. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

Congrats. I used to do a fair amount of coyote calling back in my younger days when they fetched close to $100 for a nice Montana pale. I called as many as 13 in one day and managed 5. Got 3 out of 4 on one stand one time (after we found out you could bag em with a shotgun). I need to do more of that, again.

10. Ron Gilmore

Duck it is fun as heck, and this year with little snow, you can get around anywhere without snow shoes etc.... and for a guy with bad back and knees this is a good thing.

We drove around Friday night stopping in areas we assumed had coyotes. Shut down for 1 minutes then howl from the road and listen. We only hunted areas where we got responding howls. I also have a number of ranchers and farmers that give me location info. Over Christmas you mentioned 13 came to the calls in one day. Rancher whos wife is into exotic animals and fowl has had a lot of issues. We set up in the pasture behind his place and had 8 come out of the sloughs but none came within shooting range. I didn't take the shotgun Sunday on the last set. Should have because I had one come in behind me less than 25ft but the willows i was using as a back drop prevented me getting on it with the rifle. I could have tossed a lot of buckshot at him with a shotgun!

The_Duck_Master likes this.