Bona Fides

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Rubberhead, May 25, 2017.

1. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, the adrenaline of being the prey is pretty awesome. Plus, shooting at $100 bills when I was a kid added a whole new layer to the fun! Wish I was a better shot then. Oh, the inexperience of youth. Calling is the aspect of hunting that I enjoy the most. It's why I hunt ducks more than anything.

2. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

Duck I think I was 13 or 14 when I was first exposed to varmint calling. Delwayne had a Weems wildcat call which I know have. He took me out with him and I was hooked. We had fox back then and they came in way easier than coyotes. All we used was .22 Mags so they had to be close. I bought my first rifle a Sako bull barrel .220 swift with a Leupold VXIII scope from the pelts that fall and winter as well as a new deer rifle. $70.00 prime fox, $120.00 was the most we got from any coyote. But that call brought in badger and raccoon as well. I still use it but it was old when he got it, and I am afraid of damaging it.

I ran a trap line but preferred calling and still do. Don't get to do as much as I would like, but so far this fall and winter my tally is 21 coyotes and two raccoons. Best year calling I ever had was 57 in 2009. Tough winter with lots of snow. Food was scarce and they responded to the call well as long as you got away from the roads. Buddy had an Argo with tracks that was quiet and would stay up on top of the snow. More than once we got out only to find we where in waist deep stuff. That was the only time I have ever shot a quad in one setup. I had a mountain lion show itself 600 yards plus from me and then vanish. You talk about puckered!! That was me!!!

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  3. Tuck31

Tuck31 Elite Refuge Member

I've had both. Hands down crappie through the ice are the best!

4. Ron Gilmore

Tuck, crappies are just OK to me. Buddy loves them so I share my catch a lot with him now that my uncle and father have passed. Perch, walleye and pike, in any order. Don't eat sunfish of any type, nor bass, will smoke some buffalo and suckered ciscos whitefish.

5. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

I started about the same age. Never ran a trap line myself but my older brothers ran 100 mile long line when I was in my teens and I went along, often. Calling was secondary since it took all day just to run the line.

Probably the most unusual experience was when I almost tagged a great horned owl one time. We set up on the edge of the river breaks last stand of the day and at about dusk he came walking over a ridge about 80 yards from me. In the low light it looked just like a bobcat coming straight on in the scope. Fortunately I waited for him to turn for a broadside shot before shooting. Didn't want bust a hole in his neck. The only thing he turned was his head and it was a full 180 degrees when he did. Still took me a long time to figure out what the hell was going on. He would have died were it not for not wanting to damage the hide. Not what I was expecting to see over a mile from any trees. Neither my brother nor cousin even saw him.

6. Ron Gilmore

Owls commonly visit our calling areas when they are migrating. So this doesn't surprise me. I didn't see it but another predator hunter i know said that owls have grabbed his quiver decoy a few times. He hunts MN with more woods vs the plains area. Only have seen one bobcat in my calling days. We don't have them for the most part in my prime area. Waiting on pictures from a friend, who had 5 wolves come in last weekend in northern MN. I have seriously considered putting a Go Pro on my rifle but like all things it is just more crap to deal with.
    I have switched to e caller for the volume. I like being able to send sound up wind at a higher volume level than a mouth call can give. Plus when using a quiver decoy or even a full body coyote decoy having the caller close to the decoys puts the sound in the same place.

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

We had our last weekend of the duck season... I am still wearing black.

We finally had a decent push of birds, but there was a tremendous amount of shooting pressure and hunters out... I managed a limit of 5 green-wing teal and 2 widgeon, before I had to pick up decoys...

Had to head home that evening for a father-daughter dance with my two girls, and then headed back out to hunt and clean up on Sunday as well... Managed the same limit of 2 widgeon and 5 teal on Sunday... A lot less birds, but enough to make things interesting...

Although we had a nice shoot, both Kisa and myself were a bit sad to see the season end... Here is our limit from the last day of the season:

2018-lastday-1.jpg

yellowlab03, blacktail, API and 5 others like this.
  8. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

I own a drift boat and I’m steelhead fanatic. Problem is a guy don’t fish much when he’s busy rowing. Have a guy at work from NJ. Never steelhead fished, and never really fished before.
    He’s caught more fish than myself so far! Taken him on 2 drifts. Here’s a few pics. I Caught a real nice colored up buck the other day.
    Guess which guy is the newbie? Ha
    EC4D43F9-85EB-4803-956E-F4CF8E3DD05A.jpeg 5B612294-BA6E-4E5F-A8D0-18645B196123.jpeg ADE6B4A9-5E1F-4D2A-AC89-C058CB9EE705.jpeg 437BF12B-9FB0-4F3F-BFF6-2CCE6D453C41.jpeg 61B5C37B-243A-40DC-9886-1C7CF91A02B5.jpeg

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Nice

10. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Hey... No fly rods???

There is just something about steelhead... When that fresh hen starts to burn off line and then tail dances across the top of a riffle, you know why you went out...

yellowlab03 likes this.