Bona Fides

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Rubberhead, May 25, 2017.

1. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Wilson?

2. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Fly rods?? Here, the people who steelhead fish use the same exact set up I use except they call a bobber a strike indicator.

Trask

yellowlab03 likes this.
  3. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Haven’t fished it that low. Even I’ve caught Trask fish on the Spey fly. Missed a ton too. :(

4. yellowlab03

yellowlab03 Elite Refuge Member

I pretty much only use a spey rod now. We use single man pontoons to get from run to run and have thought about packing a single hand rod with bobber (I hate when guys call a bobber an indicator!) and a nymph pattern to hit some smaller pocket stuff between runs.

YL03

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I have caught them on an indicator (yarn-ball bobber), high-sticking, and on the swing... Love catching em' on the swing, but I like catching them more... Nothing like having a fish almost rip the rod out of your hands...

We have a small steelhead run on a local river, and had no clue when we were fishing... Then I caught a fish that was into my backing here and now, and I chased that fish down stream about 1/2 mile before beaching it... It was all catch and release, but we did get stopped by a warden... I asked him if there were steelhead, and he winked as he told us that "although there is a salmon run here there is NOT a steelhead run that we KNOW of..." He made it clear that if there was investigation that showed a steelhead run, that it could greatly affect fishing regulations and availability...

yellowlab03 likes this.
  6. Ducker 4 Ever

Ducker 4 Ever Elite Refuge Member

This is what fishing looks like in the Midwest in February. Biggest pike I have caught, at 36.5"
    We didn't have a scale, but figured it at around 10 pounds. 20180216_170355_001.jpg

7. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Brrrrrrrrr.
    I will admit, I had a blast when I lived in Michigan and we’d spear the pike.
    Sit in the shanty, hook a 12” sucker on a short line, pike comes in slow from behind. Drop spear! What a hoot.
    Pike not bad eating either once I figured out how to filet the Y bones out.

H20, here’s a Wilson fish from a couple hours ago. Had to drift solo, nice living close enough my wife can shuttle me.
    854E4415-D86F-4D65-9549-90719EBA007C.jpeg

8. Ducker 4 Ever

Got into some spring snows in SD over the past week.

Most days make you question your sanity chasing these things, but then when you get the right circumstances of weather and birds and it makes the long days and short nights all worth it.

20180408_100519.jpg 20180403_130031.jpg 20180401_111402.jpg 37533.jpeg

Squaller, JuvieCoot, hobbydog and 6 others like this.
  9. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

Nice! Looks like you had at least one beat down on the trip. How many guys were there?

10. Ducker 4 Ever

Some days we had 5, some days two, then three, then nine. People were coming and going all week long.

We had a good hunt in a pasture last weekend, then a great hunt in the snow with only two of us, then some tough days and then a barn burner in the snow with nine guys yesterday.

The_Duck_Master likes this.