Bona Fides

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Rubberhead, May 25, 2017.

1. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Most banded honkers taken in SoCal come from Utah.
    [​IMG]
    Layout blind camo.
    [​IMG]

2. API

More whack 'em and stack 'em...
    IMG_1257.JPG

Keeper halibut
    IMG_1549.JPG

3. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

That's a lot of Canadian geese. :joker

You'se guys like the yeller faction of the Labrador breed. :p

API likes this.
  4. Mud Duck

Mud Duck Elite Refuge Member

do we have ducks in South Carolina ( other than summer ducks ) ?

Rubberhead likes this.
  5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Bear, API and The_Duck_Master like this.
  6. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Started going to a duck blind at age 4 because my parents couldn't get a babysitter to come over at 3 a.m. Sat on the roof of the blind in a camo headnet, told to keep still and tell them if I saw any ducks. Grew up in Illinois, hunted the Mississippi River in the Andalusia Island chain primarily, and in 1977 my parents started going to Stuttgart, Arkansas every Thanksgiving. My father carved decorative decoys and collected antique decoys...selling the former to buy the latter, so I grew up going to decoy contests and shows in the Midwest in the 70's and 80's. We ran Flambeau mag mallards and Otter bluebills and cans; the divers were all handpainted in our basement, back when you could still get oil-based paint with lead in it (One-Shot sign paint was incredibly durable).

The friends he had made from Stuttgart through decoy carving and collecting put us on some amazing hunts. I could see more ducks in three days in Arkansas than I could in three seasons in Illinois, and when our hosts would apologize because it took until 8 am to limit out, I was astonished. Somewhere there is a picture of 9-year-old me with a strap full of ducks on my neck, standing in front of a wheelbarrow full of ducks...shot legally in one morning at a private club around Stuttgart. My father told me to never stop being amazed and grateful for those opportunities and take them for granted.

Went to college in south Arkansas, majoring in Forestry, and hunted rice fields and timber and potholes off the Mississippi. Have seen enough ducks in the potholes that they just "rolled" up out of the way when we motored through the boat trails, landing far enough away that the boat wouldn't run them over.

Lived in Memphis for a few years and became friends with a guy who had grown up in Jonesboro. Started hunting northeast Arkansas timber and rice, and that was the time I also started carving my own decoys to hunt over. Moved back to Little Rock in 1998, and enjoy river hunting for divers, timber for mallards and whatever else comes through, rice fields for anything and everything - everything waterfowl.

I've been blessed to hunt a few famous clubs and a whole slew of unknown places on public and private ground from Illinois and Iowa to Kentucky, Arkansas and Louisiana, met famous waterfowl artists, decoy carvers, call makers, and good people throughout...along with a sprinkling of idiots. I turn 47 this year and the only thing I've done longer than hunt ducks is eat, sleep, breathe and go to the bathroom. I try to hunt 15-20 days a year; I don't hunt as many days as I used to because of work, but it is still in my veins...

Bucket list is to go to the East Coast to shoot sea ducks and brant and then black ducks in the salt marsh.

Squaller, Bear, API and 3 others like this.
  7. API

Hit the beach yesterday morning and this stud spotfin gave me a nice ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Squaller, rhpierce, hobbydog and 5 others like this.
  8. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  9. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Courtbullion, right there.

10. API

I think they are all in the same family. On the left coast we typically see Yellow fin croaker amd spot fin croaker.
    Ya mean halibut? ... that's gourmet chow. For sure I'm trying to land another legal sized (22") one. :tu