Bona Fides

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Rubberhead, May 25, 2017.

1. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Ah, that’d be me. My org is kinda strict about public images.
    That’s not my group of hunters. I made it and they got weather delayed 24hrs. They’re some dudes from Iowa I hunted with on Friday. They were all okay, except for the really big dude on the left. He was a jackarrse....but I liked hunting with those dudes. They REALLY couldn’t shoot. I looked like a sporting clays champion out for sone practice, against those guys. LOL

2. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

I consider visiting that commie wasteland to the north for a speck and crane hunt. But damn those are tiny cranes.

3. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Looked plenty big to me at 15yds in the blowing snow lol....and the people in the countryside were awesome.

double limit likes this.
  4. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Canadian people are the friendliest people you will ever meet! It’s almost scary how friendly they are.

Allan likes this.
  5. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Guys from PA got some gators tags. Had a rough first night so they called me in for a little casting help.

335D5214-8AAA-4B3F-B976-416D9F7B6D82.jpeg 2E2BBA72-C929-4F59-8864-C513182D8ED1.jpeg E0E2372A-D0CD-407B-AC1E-0EDB49195FD6.jpeg 96231B1D-92BD-4AEE-9035-2B59C0C174B7.jpeg

6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

A little work on my Ascend FS10 and the wife’s Old Town Vapor 10. Finally done enough. We’ll see how they do in water... tried to keep the grass high on the sides so it can’t droop and snag.

161BE476-6B14-4785-9D06-622F0F597A0A.jpeg D8C507DF-8F18-4F23-B90F-DE8806DCDD04.jpeg DFAA90E9-0A2C-4165-819D-C3BF0FE00CF0.jpeg D3C297D0-5E10-44F2-A05E-9357B72629F7.jpeg

And the big lipped coots. They are my favorite:

image.jpg

7. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

Never underestimate the value of a coot spread.

yellowlab03 likes this.
  8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

CANADA 2018
    So, I had all these really grand plans of taking all this video and lots of pictures. Didn't work out, since I ended up going to Canada alone.
    Different trip. Birds were VERY concentrated in the fields. Honestly, (I know this sounds crazy) the field I ended up hunting for 3 days 'had' over a million birds. A full section of land, shoulder to shoulder all the way across. Birds coming in, birds going out. Clouds of birds.
    NCM_0040.JPG

First day, 1/2 of the section was a harvested pea field. Very little cover, all the waste vegetation was blown off. Still, that was where they were. Set up and had a quick hunt, tho I stuck out like a sore thumb. Small flocks working me, 2 doubles and a single, done.
    As a side note, limit in SK is 8 dark geese, but only 5 Specks. This is my 3rd trip up there, and I have NEVER seen a Canada Goose. Not a single one. Just snows and specks.
    Next day it snowed overnight, so I put on the snow cover (first time). Same pea field, so I tried to mix in a little cover in the straps. Birds didn't work me very well, but got the 5 bird limit.

As I was leaving, the birds were settling into the harvested wheat field half of the section. I just figured I would hunt it the last day. I made the mistake of not putting them to bed that night. Snow was melting off, and the roads were really nasty. Just figured I would wait till the morning when they were frozen.

So, set up in the wheat field. This time I spent 30 minutes brushing in the blind (no snow cover) and I 'thought' it looked really good. Pointed it looking straight down wind. That was a mistake. I was 'crossing' the even lines of the harvested wheat, so, as I found out later, it really stood out.

Birds were not really coming to the field. I could hear them in the distance, and when the sun came up, I could see the clouds of flocks, about 3 sections over, hitting it like they had hit my field the last two days. (Lesson- always put the birds to bed)

Still, I eventually got enough singles to come in to get my limit, but it took till 11:00, and I simply got lucky with a roost bound bird flying low enough to drop.
    As you can see, the blind really stands out...
    upload_2018-10-9_16-2-20.png

I have never had a problem hiding my layout. It isn't a low profile type, but when there is plenty of waste vegetation, it is fine. Yesterday I bought one of those blinds that is just a headrest and mat, with a mat to cover you. Had I had one of those, I think I would have done much better.
    Pics of my Tarna....
    upload_2018-10-9_16-4-33.png

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Camp- Cabelas 10x20 Alaknak
    NCM_0044.JPG

Plenty of room for 3 guys, if I could find 2 other guys to go with me....
    NCM_0042.JPG

"Where do you want this one, Dad?"
    NCM_0055.JPG

10. Native NV Ducker

Really sweet hunt this morning. Light snow, maybe more blowing from the ground than the sky. Good 20mph wind out of the North. Left my dekes in the blind yesterday, so simple walk out, no breaking a sweat. New thermos, so the coffee was actually hot when I sat down. Just 8 dekes to put out. Cut some extra cover to make the blind blend in better.

10 min to LST, couple of flocks flew in and took a look. Had some birds outside the dekes. Bout 5 minutes after LST, it was on. Dropped a couple of mallards, and while I was waiting for the dog to bring the 2nd one back, a pair of honkers were coming in on set wings. Doubled on them (amazing how 4's drop geese when they are crossing and inside 30 yards) Couple of singles, including a BW teal, which is rare for my area. Another mallard, a gaddy and widgeon, and we were done. Packed up quick and had birds looking as I left.
    Left the dekes in the blind again, will be there again tomorrow.

Tarna doesn't like sitting for pics. "Just open the door so I can warm up, Dad!!" upload_2018-10-10_14-6-49.png