Bona Fides

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Rubberhead, May 25, 2017.

1. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Croaker. They're all somewhat related.
    Nice fish, used to enjoy my surf fishing back in the day I lived in SoCal as wee little lad.
    I lived 2 blocks from Cabrillo beach in San Pedro. We had the worlds longest fishing pier at our disposal, the breakwall. Bonito, cuda, perch, croaker etc. Favorite memories of that place was pitching sand crabs on a crappie rig into the surf. We'd bring bucket full of perch home. Good clean fun for a 12 year old and his older brother.

2. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

My usual spot is between Oceanside and San Clemente.
    Those sand crabs still work. Filet those perch into some mighty fine fish tacos. I did release this one yesterday.

[​IMG]

yellowlab03 and Michael like this.
  3. Michael

Michael Elite Refuge Member

I love the surf fishing. In Hermosa where I live it is pretty hit and miss, but still fun!

API likes this.
  4. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Halibut...good eats. Sorry...we don't see that many of them in Texas. :no

I thought it was, by association, a large (saddleblanket) flounder. Some folks call flounder "flukes". SoCal must have different shore structure than NorCal. As I remember from a friend NorCal goes straight down some 100s of feet from very small beaches. If so I bet your big halibut is waiting for you laying on the bottom up there. :h

5. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

See, I think names are just confusing folks....croaker? Looks closer to an east coast grunt, related to a drum....which also grunts....croakers are perch-sized....but I just catches and cooks'em. I don't compare pedigrees. I would still say a halibut is just a giant flounder. LOL

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Hunting is more of a mental illness than an activity for me. Work and kids has changed the amount and manner I hunt, but I still make it out more than most.

Anything with feathers… I enjoy upland, and enjoy turkey hunting, but waterfowl is my favorite.

When hunting with friends and family we have discussed everything, from coffee to condoms… But oddly, politics rarely come up in the blind.

The year always starts off with Dove hunting:

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Duck hunting with the family:

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Tough to beat a good shoot with Dad:

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Always enjoy a nice shoot alone.

[​IMG]

I love the interaction that comes with fooling the game we are chasing, which is why I suppose I enjoy waterfowl hunting and turkey hunting:

[​IMG]

7. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

^^^Beautiful family.

8. yellowlab03

yellowlab03 Elite Refuge Member

I liked, then unliked so I could like it again! Good on you with the ear pro too!

YL03

9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

My grandfather was a physician, and even still nobody used hearing protection when I was growing up... Having some notable hearing loss myself, I use protection, and the single biggest stipulation of my kids going in the field with me was that they understood that hearing and eye protection would be worn.

Rubberhead, great thread... Nice to know that a few of us whining about politics on a hunting forum, actually hunt.

API likes this.
  10. yellowlab03

yellowlab03 Elite Refuge Member

I need to be better about wearing eye and ear pro and insisting that the kids do too. I make them wear it when we are just shooting, but never even think about it when we are hunting. I wish there was something for the dogs for hearing too, I took my Nephew hunting at Los Banos one year, he was shooting a youth 20ga with a short barrel on it. Every time he would shoot it would rattle me teeth. I ended up handing him my Benneli and letting him shoot that, he thought I was doing it because I was the coolest, when in all honesty I was doing to keep my teeth in my head and my ears from exploding. I started thinking about it, and figure that is how the dogs have to feel too. I started moving the dog around where I hunt to make sure he isn't catching all of the muzzle blast.

YL03

API likes this.