Boot recomendations

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Jawbreaker, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Jawbreaker

Jawbreaker Senior Refuge Member

Any suggestions on a good pair of boots for upland hunting ? My knee high rubber boots have gotten me by the few times I've pheasant hunted the last few years, but we have a few more birds and most of my duck spots are dry so I may chase roosters a little more this year. Last decent pair of bird hunting boots were irish setters, no complaints, but i found if they sit on a shelf in the garage for a few years, the soles fall off.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

3. Jawbreaker

Jawbreaker Senior Refuge Member

Thanks native, wish i had your search skills

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I remembered posting about my Cabela's boots, so it was easy to narrow it down to just 'Boots' by 'Native NV Ducker'.

PS, That was 2015, and I still have those boots, wore em today. I go 50/50 between them and some Cabelas Cowboy type boots.

Jawbreaker likes this.
  5. Larsen's Labs

Larsen's Labs Elite Refuge Member

I find that with advancing age, the lighter and smaller profile boots I can find, the better off I am. With that in mine, Cabela's sells boots with a Herter's name that I really like. I have one pair that are gortex lined with no insulation for warm weather and one with 4 grams of insulation for cooler weather. Later in the year, the insulated ones (also gortex lined) work well in as cold a temperature as I care to hunt in anymore!! They would not work for ice fishing or sitting for long periods of time in a deer stand at 30 degrees or below!

6. gnpnast

gnpnast Senior Refuge Member

Bean boots are hard to beat.

7. Larsen's Labs

Larsen's Labs Elite Refuge Member

That previous post should read 400 grams of thinsulate rather than 4! Sorry about any confusion that may have resulted!!

8. in2b8er

in2b8er Refuge Member

Danner Pronghorns

9. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

I've gone through three pairs of hunting boots in the last ten-twelve years and I don't wear my hunting boots outside of the hunting season very often. My current Danners just got a hole in them and they are on their 4th season, although the season just started for me at the beginning of September. Most hunting boots last me three to four hunting seasons but I had a pair of Cabelas boots that lasted ~6 years. I think they were the same ones NV Ducker has but the all leather variety. They were the first hunting boots I ever wore that the sole wore out instead of the upper. All the rest get holes in the side of the upper while the soles are still fine. I'm a little disappointed in the Danners. I had heard good things but they didn't hold up any better then other boots.

I will say that I'm harder on hunting boots then most people, so that's something to take into account. The Cabelas boots also weren't the most comfortable hunting boots I've had and they were heavy. So although they were durable as hell, they had drawbacks. One of the main drawbacks was the amount of mud they would hold on the sole, so if you plan on walking through allot of wet agricultural fields you'll want to take that into account as well.

10. tubshooter

tubshooter Elite Refuge Member

+1

The LL Bean Kangaroo leather upland boot has been my favorite lightweight boot for years.