Boots

Discussion in 'Women's Hunting Forum' started by Dove Commander, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Dove Commander

Dove Commander Elite Refuge Member

Hey ladies, I am looking to yall for advice. My girlfriend wants to go hunting with me this year and was lookin for advice on what kind of boots are the warmest for yall? She gets cold pretty easily so need something warm, also if you wear any special type of socks, that would be appreciated as well. I just want her to be comfortable out in the woods. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Mrs. Ripline

Mrs. Ripline Senior Refuge Member

Personally, I don't deer hunt, but I do duck hunt so I'm in waders, but my feet also are the first thing to go. I use Guide Series socks, they are really soft and warm inside of them. The other thing you can use are heat packs inside the boot as well, not directly on the skin though. I'm sorry I don't have a boot suggestion, but I love those socks! Enjoy your hunts together!

3. twentygauge_wonder

twentygauge_wonder Senior Refuge Member

It sounds like she wants true boots, not waders? If that's the case, I'm like Ripline - not alot of experience there. My advice is to have her go to REI or a good outdoors store that caters more to the hiker. Have her wear a regular pair of socks, and try on wool ones FROM THE WOMEN'S DEPARTMENT that are a comfortable fit over the normal socks. Don't buy the standard men's issue wool socks, unless she has HUGE feet.:) If the socks are too big, no matter how good the boot is she'll get horrible blisters, which are just as bad as the cold if not worse. From that point on, always try on boots with the 2 pairs of socks on to make sure the footwear isn't too big or small.

4. Dove Commander

mostly deer hunting, not waders, boots

5. Blueyed-goof

Blueyed-goof Senior Refuge Member

While they aren't insulated, I have found that with the right combination of socks, my Danner Pronghorns are the warmest, most comfy boots I could ever desire to have. I bought them a half size too large so that I could wear them with two pairs of socks and/or a hand warmer stuck down in my socks to help keep my feet warm. Those are quite effective.

6. Kimmie

Kimmie Moderator Sponsor Moderator

I wear Danner's (Sierras or something to that effect) or Irish Setter with a pair of Carhartt wool socks under... Either boot is great.

Her feet won't get cold with that combo.

:)

7. jumpmaster23

jumpmaster23 Senior Refuge Member

Good stuff here, since I was actually looking to get my wife some boots. Danners seem like the way to go. She'll be freezing her arse off anyways since I transplanted from Tampa to Colorado.

8. Kimmie

Kimmie Moderator Sponsor Moderator

How do you like CO? Other than the temperature change? :dv

I'm looking at some land out there (Westcliffe/Canon City area)...

9. jumpmaster23

jumpmaster23 Senior Refuge Member

I love it. It gets cold, but since there isn't a lot of humidity, it doesn't seem as cold. At least to me. But, I'm also the type that will stay in a layout blind with 40mph winds and 18" of snow on the ground, just because the birds are still flying.

Look around, you can find some deals out there on land. We just picked up 35 acres dirt cheap.

Westcliffe/Canon City isn't to far away from where I stay in the Springs. Lots of scenery out there.

10. Dove Commander

kimmie, what are danners? lol, im only 21 and not much into the shoe shopping lol. dont make me look like a fool to bad :sp