Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Bow fishing

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by Pinman, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Jacob Hyer

Jacob Hyer Elite Refuge Member

ya, its getting tuff to find them so I'm going to hit the lake this afternoon to see what all the hype is about...:sp

2. Jacob Hyer

here is 2 big boys Justin Shot on Sat... 32 lbs and 29 lbs.. both fish were pushing the 40 in mark

Jake

[​IMG]

3. Jacob Hyer

also here are some pics of Mirror carp a hybrid of common carp... we shoot a few every trip but I never thought much about them figured they were beat up fish but than found out they are a rare hybrid of commons... we shoot I would say 2 for every 100 commons... so its like shooting a Barrows G.E. in Idaho...:nutz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Duck-Slayer

Duck-Slayer Elite Refuge Member

very nice, we should go out on the river sometime.......
    D-S

5. swampswimmingshrek

swampswimmingshrek Elite Refuge Member

There goes that spot.......:rolleyes:

6. Jacob Hyer

what are you talking about... ? there are no spots when it comes to carp fishing in the snake... you just float the banks and you can shoot all day eerrr NIGHT long.. silly boy:l but I have found some good bass and cat spots now that I can see were they are hanging out with the lights...

Jake

7. swampswimmingshrek

haha okay Jake. I forget your Month of Carp shooting experence exceeds doing it most of our lives.:yes You don't need to float anywhere if you are in the right spots. Just stand there and shoot. Thats probably why it gets boring. All you do is shoot your bow and pull in another carp.
    jeeeeesh silly boy.

I will take a few pictures next time we do it and show you what it looks like when carp are in an area. I think you would carp your self. You can pretty much just shoot in a general area and you will probably stick 2-3 at a time. You will find soon 40 fish in a shoot is only one guys fish. But I'm glad your learning.:tu I have one more weekend until I'm free then we will stick a few for you to drool over.:yes

8. Jacob Hyer

:l man that doesn't sound like fun at all... had one of those shoots with Steven got very bored with it and than just sat back and watched him slay away on those 1 ft shots... I kind of felt sick to my stomach the next day.. didn't feel like a sportsman after that shoot... and vowed not to ever do that again... Kind of like shooting a resting roost of birds on the water with a punt gun... :rolleyes:

I like to float and hang out and BS with the guys and sometimes Girl as we snap shoot and than we hit the SPOTS and just float thru vs anchor the boat and just shoot away... you can float from Filler King to the ramp and put 80 fish in the boat with just 2 shooters if they have retrievers and you can do all that in MAY ... but for the little boys that use soda cans we have to slow down and drag a anchor fso they can get some shooting in too...:l J/K...

yep I'm a rookie at it... but having a blast learning how to do it the right way...! Just found out that I could save myself some money if I buy a pressure washer to clean the boat out with vs running to the car wash in the wee hours of the morning after a trip... :l carp slim is hard to clean off hydro turf... :mad: a

any one have 2 extra 50 gallon barrels...? I tried the trash cans but they can not handle the weight... and I'm sick of stepping all over carp when the barrel is full...yuk my crocks smell so bad and I don't think my waders will ever be the same...

Jake

9. swampswimmingshrek

haha I didn't know there was anything sporty about shooting carp. I also didn't know there was right and wrong ways to do it. :l :l

I'm curious to see how long the carp excitement lasts. :cool:

First it was Ducks, then coyotes, now carp, hhhmmm whats next? You know what you could do next is shoot those Collard Doves they just made legal to shoot all year. :tu

10. Jacob Hyer

Just depend on how you were raised and brought up Hunting or Fishing I guess... if you grow up just waiting tell July when its hot and they are spawning and just go out and shoot into a pile than your not going to think its sporting more Just Killing and get very Bored with it... I have been Carp shooting every weekend since March and have been learning a lot started out with a spot light and had a blast but than invested in a lighted shooting platform (even thou I was told it would be a waste of time and money from someone that has been doing it all their lives... ) well the 1st time those light came on and I saw so many fish in the grass beds I about crapped myself... and have been hooked since... I went thru withdrawals last weekend since I had to be at the comp:l but I have become and decent shot with my bow now... no 3D shooter but I think I can hold my own bow fishing but hey I here your a great shoot shooting into those Piles of carp... :l J/K what I find sporty about it is when I pull of a easy 5 ft shot and try to Hit a Leather Carp, Or Mirror Carp, or those 30 lbs + ones... its a challange sure I may not drag in 80 fish every time out because I choose not to shoot into the piles and try to get 2 or 3 fish on at the same time, but than agian I can say and have pics of several nice trophyes in the Carp World like 1 that would have been a state record... 4 months of shooting fish and I have a gold fish under my belt there are guys in Texas that have bowfished for 25 years that would give their left boy to shoot a wild Koy...! now we just need to get some Gar in Lowel and I would be happy as a carp in a grass bed in 5 inch of 65 degree water...lol..

Well its still Ducks and that one will come 1st every time, the Yote thing was fun but really not my thing you can't do much BS'ing and the hunting parties are kind of smaller than I like since I like to have a good old time and dink around My ADD kicks in to much to just sit in a bush and squeal on a call for 40 min each set... and Man those fleas I dragged home suck...! But I think after I just invested about $1000.00 to shoot carp I will be doing it more than you might think... Might go PRO :l

Can you shoot them off of wires...? if I'm going to do anything else with my time it will be Team Roping again but I really find that Horse people are a lot like Dog people and I don't think I can deal with that much EGO anymore... so I just might keep roping at my dads personal arena... and not deal with Jackpot or Buckle roping that just what I need is another Belt Buckle to go with the other 20 in the dresser drawer...

Jake