Bow handle size...

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by olepal, Dec 10, 2015.

1. olepal

olepal Elite Refuge Member

Back in 1989 I got my first bow, a Pearson Renegade. It was about standard for the technology of the day. It had a really good, handfull kind of grip. Got totally away from archery not long after that.
    I have had the itch lately but every bow I look at barely has a grip at all. They are very uncomfortable to me.
    Does anyone make a bow with a larger grip than what I see in the archery shops?

olepal

2. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I haven't seen one with a decent handle. Most have a small pistol grip and a wrist strap and are based on target shooters.

I use a soft rubber grip wrap that makes the grip bigger and is non-slip.

http://www.limbsaver.com/product/tentacle-wrap/

3. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

Today's bows are not 1989 bows. Add about 100 fps, and all the technology to get you there, and they can be much more critical to form. Large grips feel comfortable to gun shooters, but it is very easy to torque a fat grip, which is why you see slim grips on most bows. The idea is you shouldn't be gripping the bow anyways, it should sit loosely in the crotch of your hand so you don't twist it on the shot or before. That's why they have straps too.

Most bows have a way to remove and replace the grips, so if you're dead set on a fat grip, I'm sure you could find an aftermarket one, but I'd suggest against it.