Bow hunting Geese

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Petterson, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Petterson

Petterson Senior Refuge Member

I have toyed with the idea for long enough and am going to make it happen this year. For those of you that hunt ducks/geese with a bow, is there any special/preferred broad head or point in general you would suggest or recommend? I will be using a compound bow and shooting them on the ground. Thank you in advance.

Billy Bob likes this.
  2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Mike, everything I've been told has been to use the same heads you use for deer on anything much larger than a mallard. I'm going after brant with my recurve in jan. Good luck! It's addicting.

3. duxh8me

duxh8me Elite Refuge Member

So it is no longer Flu Flu arrows and clover leaf (dog brush) looking things.... I have seen a few hunting shows take out some birds Good luck, I am always for any hunting that is legal! keep us posted and that is why there is a limit, how you get there is up to you. Jim in Texas

4. Billy Bob

I hunt ducks with a bow and take whatever shots they give me. I trimmed the fletches on my flu flu arrows to get a bit more range. They drop at 120 yards rather than 65. I use a G5 sgh head for all ducks and small game flying or on the ground. You are not going to kill geese with blunt force, you need penetration into the vitals. The wing will act as a shield over the vitals when they are standing. Because of the accuracy needed I won't shoot at flying geese and prefer to shoot at them on the ground. A lot of guys don't agree with shooting them on the ground with a bow but those same guys would trash a guy for wounding flying birds and having them fly off to die. It's a matter of personal ethics and what matters more to the hunter, shooting at only flying birds or making the most humane kills possible. To each his own I guess. Shooting birds with a shotgun when landing in the decoys is 10 times easier than shooting a bird on the ground with a bow. Until people have tried it they will never know that. I find hunting with a shotgun almost boring and using a bow has brought back the thrill and challenge of the hunt.

Hardcore Waterfowler likes this.
  5. Petterson

Petterson Senior Refuge Member

Bob, thanks for the insight. I only plan to chase geese with the bow and I agree, I will only shoot them on the ground, I don't plan on wasting arrows or wounding a bird while flying. Plus, there is a little spot I have that holds a fair number of geese with only 2 safe directions to let an arrow fly with houses around the other directions.
    I will update when I finally am able to get out and chase them with the bow. you do the same as well please, hope all is well! Let me know if you and Dave want to get over to this side to chase some big river birds. We have already shot a young can & redhead this season while jump shooting. The bills are really stacked up in areas as well just waiting for the 4th!

6. Billy Bob

I am going to try for wigeon on the bay with my bow tomorrow. They are thick and dumb as a stump. The tide and weather conditions are perfect for one of my spots tomorrow. Fingers crossed. My eye problems are under control again so I have been shooting my gun with light loads because the weather has been too wild for bow hunting. I have been having birds land as close as 5 yards from me and my average shot has been under 20 yards. Killed 5 wigeon and a pin with steel dove load #6's last week if that tells you how close they are getting. :l Sunday I killed another hen euro wigeon. Hoping to find a few drakes to chase again because I still need to put one on my wall. I will talk to Dave about going over to chase redheads for the wall since we didn't get any wall birds last time other than a drake can.

7. oxnam

oxnam Senior Refuge Member

For aerial shooting ducks and geese I generally recommend the Magnus Bullheads. No one can argue that broadheads are more lethal but using them comes with some risks. A friend of mine lost one in a field during a hunt and you can imagine how unhappy the farmer was when his tractor tire found it later in the year. There is also the risk of the bird showing up in a populated area with the arrow protruding from the bird. Sure it's unlikely and most of the time some idiot shoots a bird with a field point. Birds can and do fly off with broadhead tip arrows in them. We've had pheasants fly several hundred yards with a broadhead tipped flu flu stuck completely through the bird and there is no reason that ducks and especially geese couldn't go even.

Bullheads are not as lethal as a standard broadhead but there is ZERO chance of a bird flying off with your arrow and ending up somewhere unwanted. They don't ever snake into the grass or weeds making recovery easier. They never stick in birds, so the birds are safe for dog retrieval. It is great for shearing wings and necks and can do spectacular damage with the right body hits. If it doesn't drop them, they should be fine.

8. Jeffer

Jeffer Elite Refuge Member

I like the magnus broadheads as well. Another things is if we are bow hunting ducks or geese, one of us will be hunting with a shotgun and their job is specifically to act as a "back-up" shooter to the bow hunter.