Bow Hunting Vs. Shotgun

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by waterfowlandy, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Jeffer

Jeffer Elite Refuge Member

Oh and best of luck to you. Please keep us up to date with how your season goes.

2. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

I'd be glad to, except it's been so long since I shot any targets with one of my slug barrels that I'm sure I don't have any around. I will say the most accurate combination was a Browning BGH 3" fully rifled barrel with a cantilever scope mount, shooting 2 3/4" Hornady SST slugs, with Remington Copper Solid sabots and the 2 3/4" Lightfield sabots being close behind, with all being about 3" or less. The second choice is a cantilever scope mount barrel for the 870 12 gauge, a Remington extended rifled slug choke, and the SST's or the Copper Solids, but the groups are a bit larger.

If you can shoot your bow more accurately than that at 100 yds... and the arrows still have the energy to kill a deer... nice going! Go for it. My bow doesn't have that kind of energy, nor do I practice enough to shoot small groups at longer distances, so I limit my shots to 35 yds or less. I've been told I could extend that, but since I've not done it I'm not confident in a one-shot kill so I don't do it.

waterfowlandy, there's no need to get testy here. He was referring to 'jump shots' vs 'aimed', in an excited environment by a young hunter.

Hey, Jeffer! I apologize for forgetting to get back to you. Will get to it!

3. Archeryrob

Archeryrob Elite Refuge Member

I've killed deer with arrows, shotgun slug, muzzloaders and rifles. Of all of them the 1oz 12 gauge slug was the worse IMO.

Bow - Most deer still only go 40 yards with a good double lung shot.
    Muzzleloader - dropped a doe last year with a 177 grain round ball. It broke the front leg, punctured both lungs and broke a rib on the far side before stopping under the skin. The doe hobbled 20 yards and crashed.
    Rifle - 30-06 has some fall flat out over and some run, but a good chest shot and they don't go far
    Shotgun - It was too large and didn't even slow down to impart more energy with a pumpkin ball slug. Modern sabots fix a lot of all that.

4. Adduckted

Adduckted Elite Refuge Member

I exclusively bow hunt when it comes to big game, mainly because the area I have access to is in a neighborhood. The area is a funnel for deer between bedding and feeding areas and is about 5 acres, surrounded by homes, so firearms are a no no. I keep my hunting shots under 20 yards but practice out to 45 at least 3-5 times a week. With a 2" mechanical broadhead, I've never had one run further than 40 yds, always aiming for a double lung punch. They are down within 10 -15 seconds.

widgeon likes this.
  5. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I shot a doe the other day, double lung shot high on right side to low on left. It ran off and I saw it stagger and fall 60 yds away. Climbed down and went to check it since it was almost dark. IT WASN'T THERE! Lot's of blood, but it made it into a thick clearcut.

We trailed it, and trailed it, and trailed it, and trailed it, two hours. we gave up mainly due to my bad knees and the blood trail was down to tiny drops.

Went back at first light and found it 40 yd past where we stopped. :dohLuckily it was down in the high thirties and the pigs and coyotes hadn't found it either. I don't know how it made it that far. at least 250 yds

Adduckted likes this.
  6. WoodieSC

Bow hunting? What broadhead?

Gun hunting... what bullet?

7. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

It was a grim reaper broadhead. 20 yd shot. Usually the don't go 50 yds, hit in the same place.

8. WoodieSC

Can't offer anything of interest here. I was thinking about the problem of the new Rage broadheads not opening up.

Glad you were able to find her after a cold night.

9. Tuck31

Tuck31 Elite Refuge Member

Bingo. Thankfully every deer I shot with a bow either hit both lungs or the heart. They may run (50 yards or so) but they were all dead on their feet and probably don't feel a thing before expiring.

It's all about placement.

waterrat likes this.