Bow hunting waterfowl/pheasant

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Joe Dirt, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Elite Refuge Member

Student at Pensacola Bible Institute, home's in No
    Anyone ever do this? Could you give us some info if ya have...

Thanks, Joe

2. goose hunters

goose hunters Elite Refuge Member

I have had a couple groups come and hunt with their bows. They like that I have pit blinds and can get the birds so close. You have to have a different set-up for the bow hunter. The birds fly past the pit and they try to shoot then in the top of the back as they are landing. They never tried to shot them on the ground. Only flying shots.

3. Batman74

Batman74 Moderator Moderator

goose hunters,
    What kinds of blades or points do they use for this? This is very interesting to me.

4. goose hunters

goose hunters Elite Refuge Member

They had some kind that wouldnt go all the way through. Flu flu feathers so they didnt fly off into the swamp. Some just used the feathers and razors. They even got a couple. Some of those guys can shoot. The best used a recurve bow. Short and fast to handle. He could shoot faster than I can with my shotgun.

5. Negissimo

Negissimo Senior Refuge Member

We've gone duck and goose hunting in the past with bows. I've got video from over the shoulder of my Dad as he is shooting a duck, it's real neat.

One of the best goose hunts I've ever been on was with my brother and my cousin. We'd wing an arrow at the geese then pick up our shotguns and blast away. We weren't able to hit anything with our bows but there were so many geese we managed to limit out right away. I was mad that we couldn't continue to shoot our bows, it was a blast! We've done it other times as well.

All I got to say is if you try to do it yourself use some bright colored flu flu's. The fletchings are easy to cover up when the geese are coming in and easy to find once you shoot them. Unless it's snowing we've found white to be the best color, if it is snowing and you use something bright you just have to be sure to pick them up before the next flock comes around or you could flare them.

6. Batman74

Batman74 Moderator Moderator

This has me wanting to try it this coming season. Thanks for the advice.

7. Joe Dirt

Negissimo, any way you could get than film posted on here?!

I'd LOVE to see it!:yes

Joe

8. boondoggle

boondoggle Elite Refuge Member

Did anyone see the Waterfowler.com magazine article about the guys in NC that swan hunt with longbows? I think the article ran about 2 winters ago.

9. Negissimo

Negissimo Senior Refuge Member

Joe, I WISH I knew how to do that, I would have all sorts of video on the web to share. I'm trying to find a class here at school that teaches us about that stuff. The programs I've checked out at Best Buy seem real expensive. I'll try to capture some pictures off of the video though, that's one thing I have figured out ;)

10. Joe Dirt

Negissimo, that'd be great!

Lookin foward to seein' em...

Joe