bow spot/flood lights

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by lab1, May 11, 2018.

1. lab1

lab1 Elite Refuge Member

2. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

I'm running two of the 7" dia. 51w led lites I bought from Amazon. Very bright and can light up our reflectors we have on dead heads several hundred feet away. Think I paid $37 for the two. I also mounted a small led on the back of my MB4500 to help when backing into dark ramps, got it from Amazon also. 000_0016 (1).JPG

3. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

Any of those will succesfully blind any other hunters that dare get in your path! I too did a back up light for dark launches. Have yet to use it, but it lights up the driveway great. 20180412_194000.jpg

4. warrenwaterfowler

I have a 12led light on the bow of my boat. It's bright-but I rarely use it for navigation. It never seems to shine at just the right angle...always too low or too high. I use it more to light up the area once to my spot to set decoys.

I got a 2000 lumen rechargeable hat spot light that I use when underway more. It cast a good light out to about 150' and it's always pointed right where I'm looking. It was cheap off amazon....but it's held up great since 2015. Rechargeable 1800Lumens Headlamp Zoomable 3-Mode LED Flashlight+ 2 X 18650 Rechargeable Batteries+ Wall Charger+ Car Charger+ Headlight Special USB Cable; Suitable for Working, Camping, Hunting, Running, Fishing, Reading https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RL6X9JA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_c3y9AbRZ8QKXP

5. RTIC

RTIC Senior Refuge Member

I have a 12" on the bow of mine and it works great. Im looking at doing 2 flush mount 6" LED's on the sides to light the rest up.

6. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

I think what helps massively is to combo what you can, get a light bar that has flood style bulbs on the outer edges, drive bulbs further in, and spot bulbs in the center. This brightens up near and a very wide near flood beam, medium and still decently wide with the drive bulbs, then the spots so you can avoid completely the guy drunk, passed out in his boat, that's completely unlit.
    You can also do something like this with multiple lights instead of one bar with all.

This will also help drastically with what was mentioned above in the problem of the light not being big enough in the vertical direction.

7. lab1

lab1 Elite Refuge Member

I cannot find the amps on the lights that I have posted. I am wondering if I should be concerned about draining the batteries. I currently have two batteries in the boat, so that will help as well.

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

9. warrenwaterfowler

Those led lights use barely any juice

10. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

Each individual light, true. But when you add them all up, you're talking some high currents.

Native is right, the one light at 864 watts has a fair amount of current: @12.5V about 69 watts. The other two linked light bars would draw approximately 9.6 and 38.4 amps!!! For me, for my boat, I would never consider any that drew more than 10 amps (approx 125W). But, I have a 50 yammie on mine, and the alternator is rated 16 amps. I guess with some bigger O/Bs you'd have a bigger alternator, so that would have to play into any decision on how high a wattage light setup.