Bowfishing

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by DMBgoosehunter13, Apr 21, 2011.

1. DMBgoosehunter13

DMBgoosehunter13 Elite Refuge Member

2 with one shot?:tu

2. FullandFuller

FullandFuller Elite Refuge Member

3. FullandFuller

How often do you guys shoot mirror carp? They are the ones like commons except their scales are greatly reduced in number and enlarged...supposedly they were bred that way to be easier to clean. Drawing of one:
    [​IMG]

For me probably about 1 in 10 carp I shoot are mirror carp. Until this year, I never knew they were a separate breed. I just thought they were diseased commons, and I'd try not to touch them:l. The thing is, a lot of times the mirror carp are pretty good size.

On another note, I was wondering what kind of points you guys are using to shoot carp with?

I had to resupply this year so I tried four new-to-me points and arrows: Muzzy carp pt, Cajun piranha, Innerloc Pro Point, and Innerloc 3 barb grapple.

So far, I'm not particularly impressed with any one of them. I've lost a lot more fish this year than I used to with my old arrows. The muzzy and cajun don't penetrate well at all. Half the fish I hit with them are not penetrated enough to hold, and are gone after their initial thrashing. With those heads I'm only boating about 4/10 fish I hit. After these results, I bent the prongs in to more resemble the Pro Point, but have not tested much since I did this.

The Pro Point penetrates okay but the point gets beat up fast. Still, it seems to work a lot better than the Muzzy/Cajun of the same design. I'm probably boating 7/10 fish I hit with that arrow.

The only one that seems to penetrate well and hold well is the Innerloc grapple, and that thing is a pain to reel in in any kind of deadfall or soft bottoms. It hangs up easy on branches and buries itself like an ostrich in the mud. The tip needs to come all the way off to take the fish off too, which I don't like. At least with the grapple I am boating about 9/10 fish that I hit. That is the rate I'm accustomed to with my old points.

What kind of points do you guys like for carp?

4. chris meschke

chris meschke Elite Refuge Member

i always shoot the muzzy points. take a pliers and bend the prongs in closer to the point so they can still swivel but they aren't sticking out as much or else they blow a pretty big hole on the entrance.

5. Dski

Dski Senior Refuge Member

How big do you guys generally shoot? Up here on the St. Lawrence 30 lbs is common, 50 lb + is definately possible.

6. FullandFuller

Most are much smaller than that where I hunt. Probably around 20 lb is the biggest I've boated. I've never weighed one. Most carp I shoot are around 3-5 lb I suppose, and some all the way down the size of a nice trout. The record is around 50lb for NY and PA; halfway to the record would be a really big fish.

7. J. Plate

J. Plate Elite Refuge Member

We've shot a lot of fish in the 20-30 lb range in the Finger Lakes, a few over 30 and my biggest to date is 40 lb 12 oz. She was a hog. That was two years ago, about the first week in June. :tu

8. DMBgoosehunter13

DMBgoosehunter13 Elite Refuge Member

Our carp are about 30lbs. The Gar can get to 20lbs around here and bigger. Just harder to shoot the bigger fish because they are deeper

9. Cluckme

Cluckme Senior Refuge Member

We have shot some mirror carp(is that the actual name of them, thought there was a Y in there somewhere?) but it is on a rare occasion...

The Muzzy CARP point gets my choice day in and day out.... I used to buy the gar points so if you bury your arrow in cattails, you can twist the shaft and shake and the arrow comes out pretty good, unlike with the carp point which needs much more effort... however, when the water warms up and fish spawn, because the points dont flip over on the GAR point we have found we lose more fish at the side of the boat because the point rips out the entrance hole... in the winter when the fish meat is more solid the gar points work as good as any...

As far as size goes, it really depends on the lakes that we are shooting and the time of year... We have one lake in particular that is our numbers lake- lots and lots of fish but the size ranges from 5-10 pound average with the biggest being a 28 pounder shot this year out of 8 years of shooting this particular lake.

We have several other lakes where there are decent numbers but the fish average 15-25 pounds and we have got some in the 40-44 pound range.

Time of year has ALOT to do with size in MN

10. FullandFuller

I don't know if mirror carp is the actual name. I read it earlier this year, and doing a web search for mirror carp brings up pics of carp that look like what I've been shooting sporadically. The website I found the drawing on is here: http://www.allfishingbuy.com/Fish-Species-Freshwater.htm#site2. That website says Mirror Carp were the first mutation bred into carp by humans. They do seem to get big.

About arrows, after my earlier bad experiences with the muzzy carp and cajun piranha, I had thereafter bent the prongs in, but did not get a chance to really try those arrows again. My brother has been using them, with spotty success. This is his first year bowfishing though, and he is not a reliable data source at this point :flame. Although it is kinda fun to hear "how the @#@$ did I miss that!"

Yesterday evening I got out for a few hours and shot a brand new muzzy carp point with the barbs bent in as far as possible...I reversed the barbs and had them touching with the vice grips, but they rebounded somewhat. Boated 9 out of 9 hit with that arrow, so the modification seemed to work. Really makes me wonder why they don't come that way from the factory?! The new tip was very sharp and fairly hard, which is a plus over the innerloc pro point which dulls quickly. Before switching arrows to the new muzzy, I had boated 6/6 with the innerloc 3 grapple point. I know they're just carp, but it always feels good not to lose any.