Bowfishing

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by DMBgoosehunter13, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Cluckme

Cluckme Senior Refuge Member

I have seen some of the new muzzy (maybe AMS) tips, and they are made like you are modifying them. They have more of a longer barb but it it tighter to the arrow shaft, and has a slight flare out at the end of the barbs. I personally Have never had a major problem with penetration, shooting 30-40 pounds at about any range with the factory prongs... except with fleshy hot summer fish and the gar point like i explained above.

I THINK it is these? but the pic doesnt show the barbs too well.... i will take a pic to show you the next time i see them in the store!

http://www.amsbowfishing.com/index....s/arrows/ams-pro-point-with-safety-slide.html

ALOT has to do with where your hitting the fish. Before I started using a pin, alot of my shots were hitting low in the belly, or if it was a swimming shot I would hit in the gill area. Especially with large fish that have some weight behind them, a low belly shot or close to the butthole, arrows have an easy time ripping out... same with the gills, there is not much inside the fish between the gills to hold them on the arrow, and the gills tend to crack up or ****ter when hit...

If you are making center punch shots, or hitting above the lateral line, or from the top down or about anywhere besides a low belly, tail, or gill shot I wouldnt be too concerned about the tip.... there have been times when shooting in the winter when the barbs break completely off due to the cold, and the number of fish we are shooting! We still get the fish into the sleds (in the winter we are usually shooting out of waders instead of the boat)... I feel this is due to the cold water and the fish are much more firm. It also helps that the fish are SLOW, and will literally swim into your legs... landing these fish with no barbs just requires a little more play as you clearly cant horse em in with nothing but the tip ferruel (sp) holding them on

2. FullandFuller

FullandFuller Elite Refuge Member

Cluckme, that one shown is the innerloc pro point. I have one of those. Maybe AMS has begun marketing them. I'm not familiar with the Muzzy Gar point. From the catalog pictures, I thought the Gar point was the same as the Carp point but with a 3 sided tip instead of the 6 sided tip. I didn't order one to try because Gar aren't even legal to shoot here.

Also, do you mean 30-40 lb fish or bow weight? I assume by pin you mean sight pin?

My arrows from top:
    Innerloc Pro Point
    Muzzy Carp with prongs bent in as far as they go
    Innerloc 3 Grapple
    My old point and still my favorite..possibly made by Mohawk?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pro point is the same functional design as the muzzy carp/cajun piranha, except the prongs are already bent in. I figured about 70-80% success with that tip. It is a bit heavier than the muzzy, which I like. The problem with the pro point is the head gets blunted pretty easily because it has four faces and is not hardened like the muzzy tip.

That first time out with the muzzy carp/cajun piranha tips I had boated just three fish, after hitting about a dozen. I was not happy. I've never had that happen even as a kid. Most fish were off the arrows after the initial thrash, and as they sped off I could see the white spot on the back where it was hit but not penetrated. Yesterday evening, with a second brand new muzzy carp point with the prongs bent in, it worked 9/9; a few of those were close shots at half draw, too. It worked a lot better with the prongs bent shut.

I know some guys locally that say they like the Garpoon head, but I've not used it or seen it in use. They are bank shooters that use their hunting bows, and the shots are much different. I know where they shoot and a lot of times it would be a 15-20 yard shot through the air at maybe a 45 degree angle. From a boat, I rarely have long arrow flight before the arrow hits the water.

3. Cluckme

The pro point is the one I saw! I thought it was a muzzy or ams point...

I was talkng about a 30-40 pound draw weight. And yes I shoot a sight pin... prolly the best decision I've made when shooting! No peep n sighted it in dead nuts for three feet of water! If the pin is on the fish... its dead! It makes a real good reference point too for fast shots! Can u put a muzzy point on the interloc or are the threads different?

The gar point im talking about twists in the middle to flip the prongs over n remove the fish

4. FullandFuller

I think Cajun tips can go on Muzzy heads. Not sure if Muzzy can go on Cajun heads though...the Cajun are a longer tip, and I think the Muzzy tip on a Cajun head will leave a gap. Something like that; I tried it but don't have them right now.

The Innerloc Pro Point tip does not interchange with either Muzzy or Cajun. It also does not interchange with the Innerloc Grapple tip.

Looks like nice weather tomorrow; I'm planning to get the boat dirty again.

5. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

I just tried the IPP on a Cajun worked just fine. I could not got the the Cajun point to thread on the IPP though:z

6. FullandFuller

Maybe, I don't have the cajun arrow, its on my brother's bow. I tried interchanging them all the night they came in the mail, and was going by that memory.

In general I am not real impressed with the quick release style from any of the three companies. I used the Pro Point and Muzzy Carp on Sat. and boated 15 fish of 18 hit, which is okay, but I seem to miss more fish...I think maybe the lighter weight heads don't suit my bow. Seems to me I see a lot of nock-right as it hits the water. My old heads were much heavier, as is the Grapple.

When I need more I'll probably continue trying different heads or stick with the Grapple and deal with its drawbacks. I'm using 200 lb fast flight on my spincast for the first time and have not lost an arrow this year. I tested my old 80lb dacron and that stuff broke at 35-40 lb. The 200 lb fast flight breaks at 90 lb, so that is a huge improvement.

7. Little Fritto

Little Fritto Senior Refuge Member

I started off shooting a Shure Shot Penetrator point, and liked it a lot. I lost that arrow in some brush, and my replacement arrow had a Muzzy point on it. I haven't been shooting any monster size fish above 30 lbs or more, so I haven't really lost any fish that I can remember. For me, I like the Shure Shot better at fish removal. The Muzzy point did get to the point where it needed to be sharpened before the Shure Shot point did, but that may have been because I was shooting more gar with the Muzzy. The last gar I did shoot, the muzzy point didn't penetrate through the fish. It was a little tricky getting the tip twisted to remove the fish. The Shure Shot would have been better, as you can just twist the arrow and the barb will release.

I ordered a Gene Davis point recently to see how well it works. I don't know how well I will like having to remove the whole point and barb to get the fish off, but they are supposed to be great at not loosing fish.

8. goosenazi

I just got into it and have the IPP and the muzzy carp points. I just picked this tip up. Any input on it? I like the easy one turn removal, but am thinking it may cause some lost fish? I will try to post some input, as I should be shooting Friday night and Saturday for a while.

9. goosenazi

First 3 fish I hit with that point got off:mad: Any recommendations as to what to put on the threads so it doesn't turn as easy? I like the weight and the ease of use, but can't handle the loss of fish:z

10. Cluckme

String wax! Helps prevent rust too