Bowfishing

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by DMBgoosehunter13, Apr 21, 2011.

1. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

I'll have to try that. What are most of you shooting for poundage? I'm slinging a 40# recurve. I definately need to go up a bit for daytime shooting.

2. FullandFuller

FullandFuller Elite Refuge Member

I've used a few sting-a-rees in the past; ****tered a few barbs while shooting when they glance rocks. The thing I really disliked though was the way they would often plane off at weird angles when the arrow would hit the water.

The great part about them is if they get hung up in brush you can twist the arrow shaft a turn or so and it will come out. I remember getting one out that I couldn't even see, probably 4 foot down in the murky water, but I ran my gig down the string and twisted the handle so it would turn the shaft.

I was always worried about sting-a-rees opening from a fish rolling but I have to say I don't remember it ever happening.

3. Cluckme

Cluckme Senior Refuge Member

I shoot two browning barracudas that max out at 40 pounds. These bows have insane drive for the poundage! I have my backup barracuda set around 30 pounds for my girlfriend and it still has plenty of drive for all our night shooting. If I could recommend any setup for bowfishing it would be a barracuda. Very light weight, short axel to axel crazy drive for poundage and they are durable as hell! Not to mention like 225 bucks new!

Try the string wax! N I would even take the tips off or rewax before storage in the off season as I have about a doz arrows that the tips are rusted on pretty hard...

4. Jacob Hyer

Jacob Hyer Elite Refuge Member

40 will get it done... I keep two bows in the boat for me... one set at 30 for Night shooting and shallow shooting... Day time and deep water I shoot 65lbs...

since there has been some talk about tips... I have shot them all and still do but I tend to lean towards SureShots... we shoot huge carp and they hold the best for me and they are easy to release fish in the boat... Bow wax helps keep tips like this from coming loose for sure if you get rollers... I had no problem holding this Idaho state record fish with the sure shot tip... I have broke barbs off every type of tip also but the nice thing about sureshots is they will replace them or the tip for FREE... no other company has that info posted on there sites... [​IMG]

5. Jacob Hyer

Jacob Hyer Elite Refuge Member

Every trip... I know on the east side of Idaho you shoot 20/1 mirror vs commons...

[​IMG]

We also shoot Carp we call Butterfly carp... I guess they are special since I get asked all the time from guys around the country if I would take them if they will fly out... we shoot 1 or two of them every trip...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking this Koi is the reason for the fancy butterfly carp...?
    [​IMG]