Bowfishing!

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by Layout101, May 9, 2013.

1. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

The carp are starting to roll here on the warm days, first day out last week got 40+ second day 20+, went out after work Tuesday it was cool out and they were just swimming slow about a foot below the surface in the middle of the channels and I got 4 in about twenty minutes. It seems I am hitting them better if they are further away than the ones I can get real close to.

[​IMG]

2. Empty Skies

Empty Skies Elite Refuge Member

Lot of fun coming up. Water here is still up & murky but still able to shoot a few buffalo here & there.

[​IMG]

3. jrode237

jrode237 Elite Refuge Member

Real late ice out here in central WI had us getting out for the first time a week after our opener. Ended up shooting 33 (8 bowfin-2 of which were the largest we have ever shot-36.5" , bunch of larger suckers, and 3 or 4 nice Carp). Should be a couple of real good months for shooting before the water gets too thick to do it for the rest of the year.
    [​IMG]

4. Ferg1

Ferg1 Senior Refuge Member

Jrode,
    You ever shoot the bowfin that are lime green. Every spring we end up shooting a few that have lime green bellies and fins. I guess it is their breeding colors.

5. jrode237

Yes sir. Later in the year they get that lime green coloring and the real bright orange surrounded black dot on their tail fin. For a while we thought we were shooting mutants out of our lake (normally pretty nasty during mid-summer) but we just kept shooting too many for it to be a coincidence.

6. DMBgoosehunter13

DMBgoosehunter13 Elite Refuge Member

Going out for Snakeheads soon

7. jrode237

Here's a pig my buddy shot last time out. They're getting close to spawning around here. Lots of big fish in the shallows. Should be real good for the next few weeks. [​IMG]

8. DMBgoosehunter13

DMBgoosehunter13 Elite Refuge Member

9. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

Rod, what is that monster a grass carp?

We have been getting after them a few days a week still. Had one more 40+ day two weeks ago, but most are 2-10 fish days just going out an hour or two in early afternoon. They aren't hardly rolling at all now just sucking cottonwood seeds on surface or torpedoing slowly along the bank just under surface. It's more like hunting them now and I am going for head shots when I can.
    Have gotten a few fatties this year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Empty Skies

Empty Skies Elite Refuge Member

Bigheads are starting to pick up here.

[​IMG]