Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Braidwood

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by meha king, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Ski2013

Ski2013 New Member

i drive by the illinios wolf lake side often, if thats a gem we as waterfowlers are doomed.

2. meha king

meha king Refuge Member

what he is referring to is the opportunity of hunting public in that area and the different variety of ducks to be harvested.

3. Lester Scaup

Lester Scaup Elite Refuge Member

Wolf Lake is a waste of time. BIG waste of time. Maybe you'll get some ducks the first week, but after that it's a ghost town. Before they improved the Indiana side their would be days where you'd see a few, but since then all the birds stay east in Indiana where there is no hunting. A huge east wind will drive birds off Lake Michigan and you can have a blast at times. Happened to me once.

If you don't believe me just Google Dale Bowman of the Chicago Sun Times. He usually posts duck totals for the week every Wednesday. He's the biggest internet scouting enabler of our lifetime. You'll probably laugh when you see the totals. Every year is different so I could be wrong. I just got tired of staring at the sky and steel mills all morning.

4. meha king

meha king Refuge Member

Lester, on page one Papacharie also talked about a East wind. And Im not a big fan of Dale Bowman he is in no way an outdoor writer. The only outdoor writer that was worth anything was John Hussar he was the only one worth reading. And when you hunt ILL. public something is better then nothing. No idea why guys get so hung up about internet scouting they talk about a Braidwood post it would be funny to start an internet scouting post . There is a handful of guys that post comments but if you look at the number of guys that look at the post and don't comment what do you call them.:dv:l:sp

5. Steelslap81

Steelslap81 New Member

Meha, you started a fire by posting a Braidwood thread this early in the year!! No use in hunting there until everything else is frozen.

I remember Sureshot, his crazy posts, and his crew. I also remember his hunting partners he had for years as we hunted the waters as they did. Pockets was a really good waterfowl hunter. I remember he gave up a band to his uncle because his uncle took him bird hunting, they both shot at the same bird, and it was too close to call. Right thing to do in my book! He's easy to get ahold of, he's had the same number and email for years. The White Devil fella was never really part of his crew, just a wild guy who worked with Sureshot, but was a little to intense to say the least for most guys on the lake. Sureshot did have one little fella who hunted with him a few times over the years. That guy was a trip with is squeaky voice! I just remember the other guys in the boat when we heard the guy's voice while that tiny fella was screaming at his dog retrieving a bird! Some things you just don't forget.

I have a feeling I could guess Pocket's spot on an East wind too!

Braidwood

6. meha king

meha king Refuge Member

well Sat. at Wolf lake they took 10 mal. 5 geese and 2 other ducks, and Sun they took 4 mal. And Braidwoods Youth hunt took 2mal. 1 wood duck and 2 Gw teal

7. Lester Scaup

Lester Scaup Elite Refuge Member

You forgot the two coots.

8. meha king

meha king Refuge Member

I have no use for chicken lips and would not feed the to cats. But then again I don't have use for cats and I remember one of the last trespassing cat that sat in my driveway licking his paw.

9. Steelslap81

Steelslap81 New Member

I knew a guy people knew as "Harry Nose" who used to take coots and cook them up with his brother.... they were some weird dudes!

10. papacharlie

papacharlie Senior Refuge Member

A east wind drives them off Lake Michigan and then look out a misty rain is the best I had Blinds 1&2 also 10 they have a 9.9 limit but now you can have a 300 hp but don't cause a wake $75.00 ticket the only place in the city of Chicago you can hunt I don't get on here much but if you need info papacharlie79@yahoo.com