Breathable waders for cold weather

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by darkvibe, Jan 4, 2017.

1. DHC

DHC Elite Refuge Member

Like Bill said, just this last weekend it was 9 or 10° when we left the ramp on Saturday, and wasn't much warmer on Sunday morning. . My waders were frozen solid and stuck to the metal of the boat within minutes of leaving.

2. buzzkill

buzzkill Senior Refuge Member

Hunted yesterday in my Rogers breathables..
    -13 degrees and 11" snow on the ground. Actually stayed fairly warm with the 1200 grams boots. Layering is the key.

3. perfmarine

perfmarine Elite Refuge Member

That's to cold to even ice fish.:no Where were you hunting yellow stone hot spring?

4. perfmarine

perfmarine Elite Refuge Member

Now that's a Buzzkill, how you make out, you guys are nuts!

5. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

Went into cabelas the other day. Banded red zone waders in the bargain cave. Check the price... $70. Check the boot... my size. Pull them off the rack and they are about 3 feet wide. Buzz kill. I'm not a large man and they are size 10 king. Thought I scored a deal for a minute.

6. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

Anyone have the Drake MST Equader 2.0 breathable waders that can comment on quality? I found some on end of season sale for 1/3 off the price and they have my size left.

7. DUCK-DAWG

DUCK-DAWG Senior Refuge Member

5 seasons ago, I made the switch to breathables (Cableas) and swore I would never go back. This season I bought a pair of LL Bean breathables, and they're the best waders I've owned to date. I comfortably wore them in temps ranging from 0-94 degrees, in the water, sitting in the boat, laying down in a layout boat, etc. Busted brush frequently, walked many miles in them, and have been nothing but impressed. My ONLY complaint about them is that they lack shell loops or shell belt hooks.

8. h20fwler

h20fwler Senior Refuge Member

This year I wore breathable for the first time. Lacrosse. Been chasing ducks since I was 6, I'm 60 now. I've had them all. I did not get cold this year... waded in timber, hunted open salt marshes and sounds with high wind. Layering is the key. Spare no expense and go high-tech underneath. Polar Fleece wader pants a must. I'll never wear neoprene waders again unless I'm in a pinch. The bonus is that breathables are so light, you don't even know you have them on. When I was guiding in neoprenes and doing all the work, I would sweat like crazy. No More!

duckbuster2 likes this.
  9. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

I have had 2 pair. The first made it 5 hunts before leaking the 2nd pair 3 hunts. I am in the process of having my warranty claim processed for the 2nd time. I can say they are very comfortable to wear but that's about it.

Word of wisdom on the drakes they run small in the midsection so unless you are a twig go with the stouts

Mayes

darkvibe likes this.
  10. Buzz10

Buzz10 Senior Refuge Member