Breathable waders for cold weather

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by darkvibe, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Buzz10

Buzz10 Senior Refuge Member

Smply the best made are the Sonic Seam by Orvis. Breathable lightweight material with a STUDDED lace boot for ice and a wool intersole like the old LL Beaners. The boot is soft and you can walk forever in them, so comfortable. The laces give you pressure around nyour ankles so mud is not a problem.Good breast pockets too! The key to warmth is not the waders but how you layer with wool and polartech. You may have to stand in line to get a pair!

2. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

3. 1Duck slayer

1Duck slayer Elite Refuge Member

I am on my third pair. Picked the first pair up on clearance and the boots leaked. I didn't realize they were leaking until I pulled the liner out. They never soaked through the liner but I think they would have if I hunted several days in a row with out drying them out. Sent them back and they replaced them. Second pair did the same thing. Sent them back and they placed them. Third pair did the same thing. My buddy has these also. He is on his second pair and they are leaking to. They are a nice wader. Your feet won't get cold if you can keep them dry. Have you ever pulled your liner out and felt down in there?

mister gadwall likes this.
  4. chuam

chuam Elite Refuge Member

Here's my review of them:

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/threads/orvis-breathable-waders-review.1018250/

My liners get damp too but it is not a leak. Part of it is sweat and the other part is condensation. I always pull my liners out and let them air dry overnight before using them the next day and they work fine that way.

You'll find all the clothes you wear in breathables tend to feel a little damp when taking your waders off due to sweat and condensation. It's the reason you should wear a wicking layer on your skin and fleece wader pants (if cold enough) to hold the moisture.

5. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

Thick fleece is the difference maker regardless of whether I use neoprene or breathables.

6. 1Duck slayer

1Duck slayer Elite Refuge Member

That's a lot of moisture as they are pretty wet. That would make sense on the warm days but when it is single digits I would think there wouldn't be that much moisture. I know the rest of my waders aren't wet inside when it gets that cold. I wonder if the inserts have anything to do with it. I know they are hands down the warmest breathable waders I have owned when it comes to keeping my feet warm.

7. Sherman Jackson

Sherman Jackson New Member

Right on with the layering, using thick fleece and breathables. I spent 12 years hunting the Matsu Valley in Alaska and used these exclusively. One word of advice, screw 1/4" hex head screws to the thick parts of the soles when things freeze up. Spent less time on my *** after learning this from an old time Alaskan.

Fowler267 likes this.
  8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

That is a darn good tip right there.

9. h20fwler

h20fwler Senior Refuge Member

Mayes,

I bragged on those Lacrosse early on, however, they ultimately started leaking after the warranty expired (by 3 weeks). Since I like the design concept I went over to Cabela's and bought their same wader, because they have a lifetime/unconditional Warrant attached to them...we'll see....

10. Sjoh

Sjoh New Member

Im on my second season with the Simms bought waders and love them. Minimal bulk and the boggs boots that are attached are super warm. I will layer with fleece pants or a pair of down pants depending on how cold.