Breathable waders for cold weather

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by darkvibe, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I have breathables and neoprene. I hunt in temps in single digits frequently and have hunted down to -4 degrees F.
    Durability: about a wash between the two (both types pretty durable, actually).
    Warmth: about a wash. My feet get cold in both of them when it gets below 20 degrees. Rest of me stays warm; proper layering is the key, the waders themselves....and I mean both breathables and neoprene ....provide NO insulating properties in and of themselves. Neoprene is about a cold as leather, in my experience.

Breathables are far, FAR more comfortable to put on, wear, and take off than the neoprenes.

Bottom line: I only wear the neos in very specific conditions, which comprise about 5% of my hunting. The other 95% of the time it's breathables all the way.

2. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

I switch to neoprene in December, usually. My breathable result in far colder legs/boots than neoprenes. Interesting how different our experiences are. I vastly prefer breathables though, will be getting a set of Rogers insulated breathables whenever my pair(s) kick the bucket.

3. Buzz10

Buzz10 Senior Refuge Member

Orvis Sonic Seam breathable waders are untouchable for foot comfort and safety. The boots are like slippers for comfort and the safety factor that none others have are fully studded soles. The safetyn factor is :You can run on ice and rocks with the shoelaced boot studs. The wool innershoe is oh so warm! Ive converted every hunter I know. An Orvis product is the best as always! Banded cost 50% more but not nearly as warm in the boots, too bulky.

4. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

I’d agree w/most all sentiments and comparisons. I’d add a couple of things: neoprene is still the best for cold, big water, boat hunting IMO....it’s an added floatation and hypothermia prevention thing vs breathable, IMO. Neoprene will both float and insulate when wet.

Next: my biggest issue these days is traction/tread design. It’s hard to find waders of any sort that have good traction soles on them anymore. They’re all ice skates when in mud and not on flat ground.

....which is why I’ll probably have some Orvis soon.

5. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

I have uninsulated Banded breathables ...LOVE them. I layer when it's cold and have not been cold myself....I always wear these now. My Neos are for backup. pretty durable too. My cousin had a pair of "cheaper" ones and ripped his. We were side by side through the same crap...for what it's worth.

6. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Those banded waders better be tough. With the boat shoe treads they have, you’ll put a lot of wear on the azz and knees

7. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

The coldest I have ever been was with a pair of neoprene that I filled after stepping into a beaver run. It took 3 days to dry them out with the boot dryer.

8. TrpD345

TrpD345 Senior Refuge Member

I am hard on waders due to my size. I wear a stout size. I have large legs and calves. I have tried almost all the brands. I recently went to Mack's Prairie Wings while in Arkansas. I went to the waders section and asked the guy working there what the best waders were. His response was "The ones that fit you the best!" I had never thought of it like that, but after trying several pair on I quickly realized there was a huge difference between fit from one manufactures size 10 stout to another. I came out with a pair that fit me better than any other pair that I have owned. I am also waiting on a warranty replacement from a previously mentioned company.

9. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

I will say they missed the boat on the tread design.....I think the newer ones are better/different, but not sure

10. Robh

Robh New Member

So how the do you boys keep your feet warm in cabelas 600g boots. Im in NJ and I’m frozen anything under 30 degrees tried smart wool socks toe warmers ?