Breathable waders for cold weather

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by darkvibe, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Larger size, so you can fit the proper socks.
    Spray anti-perspirant on your feet, to keep them from sweating.
    Thin silk or poly-pro sock liners next to your feet
    Wool, Smart Wool, or some PolyPro socks. Thick. Two pairs are better than one.

I am in MT. We laugh at 30 degree weather. I have taken my Cabelas waders off and stood them up against the truck in -20 weather.

Here is the thing. You feet do not circulate like other parts of your body. They do not move much, to generate heat. Your ENTIRE body needs to get the blood pumping to warm your feet. At some point, you have to MOVE, to get warm.

You can try artificial heat. Some like the toe warmers. I have also used the full foot style. Can't say they make much difference in really low temps. I have also tried the battery operated insoles. Used em a few times, didn't really work for me. I sold em here, and the buyer is happy. Wearing the thick socks might be the reason. I have the same style (small lithium battery) in gloves, and they work great.

Really thick insulated boots are clunky to walk in, heavy, and give you minimal extra time in the field. Thick socks breath, and help keep your feet dry.

2. Bubba

Bubba Senior Refuge Member

Same here. Add a pair of the sherpa lined Banded pants and it had BETTER be cold or you will burn up. I was toasty with the above in 14 degrees.

3. jrp267

jrp267 Senior Refuge Member

Something I just remembered, buy a pair of old people compression socks. They increase circulation. Then wear wool over those.

4. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Where does a person find really thick socks?

5. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I bought a pair at Cabela's that were pretty dang thick. Smartwool has some that are good but not quite as thick as those from Cabela's.

6. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Ok. I thought maybe there's a specific really thick socks for waders or pac boots.

7. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

8. ducksinwv

ducksinwv Senior Refuge Member

I've heard the breathables collapse against your legs when in the water? I know neoprenes keep their shape better and don't get tight to the leg under water.

9. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

The frogg togg/rogers with the insulation stop that to an extent.

Cabelas used to have wader socks. Real tall wool blend. Come up over your knees.

10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

And, then what happens?