Breathable waders for cold weather

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by darkvibe, Jan 4, 2017.

1. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

Thought I would follow up on this since I made the original post. Unfortunately, due to personal circumstances (bought house, moved), I didn’t get out to hunt very much this past season.

I did end up with a pair of Frogg Toggs Grand Refuge 2.0 waders before the season started. I switched from my uninsulated breathable waders to these insulated breathable for the last couple hunts of the year. I also bought a pair of thermacell proflex heated insoles to put in them because I knew the boots were not as warm as my previous waders. My impressions:

The 1200g boots are noticeably colder than my old 1600g wader boots

Merino wool socks and heated insoles more than made up for the colder boots

The zipper where the insulation zips into the boots of the grand refuge 2.0 waders is a cold spot when standing in cold water, even through thick pants under the waders

I felt way warmer wearing insulated breathable then I ever did in neoprene

We often hunt a good portion of the day or all day and I didn’t get swampy inside at all. Even when not sweating the neoprenes always feel wet inside which I hate

Although I didn’t use them enough to judge durability, and they seem well made, I can’t see these lasting as long as my neoprene waders with cabelas tough armor on them.

2. ducksinwv

ducksinwv Senior Refuge Member

Just seems like that would be uncomfortable and make your legs colder? That's why I asked the question. Do they in fact collapse tight against your legs? Thanks for the awesome reply.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Yes, every style of wader collapses. Some more, some less, but they are ALL pressing against your skin.

Uncomfortable? How so? Excess material is closer to the leg, staying out of the way. It isn't like you are 200' below the surface, and the pressure hurts.
    Legs colder? What are you wearing under your waders? Boxers?
    Wader pants.
    upload_2018-2-6_10-28-22.jpeg
    Pick your style, color, thickness. You can even put layers under them. So, YOU adjust for the temps. Sometimes, I have as many as 4 layers. (Which are all pressing into my skin)

4. ducksinwv

Well my neoprenes are in fact not tight to my skin. They feel like wearing pants. Ya know the non-skinny jean kind. Which means they don't restrict my movement. I've hear the more pliable material of the breathables makes them tight to your leg which restricts movement and makes you feel like wearing skin tight pants. I wear fleece lined canvas pants under my waders. I know how to layer but thanks for the lesson.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Do you ever notice what athletes wear (pick the sport) They wear things that are close to the skin. It is more 'natural'.

And yes, your neo's collapse against your body. I've worn em too.

6. ducksinwv

Well they don't feel tight to my legs like spandex. But I've heard breathables do. Thanks for answering my question.

7. Native NV Ducker

Like spandex? No. Like a normal pair of jeans? Yes.

You will be thankful for that when you cross moving water. Closer to the skin means less water resistance. Ever notice that almost every fishing wader is breathable? There is a reason for that. Easier to walk, easier to move. Fisherman typically spend more time in the water than hunters do (exceptions apply). If they were uncomfortable, they would have found something better.

You keep saying 'Ive heard'. I speak from experience. Your concerns are unfounded.

8. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

I waded up to my waist and didn't feel that way.

9. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

It's simply not an issue. Also, mobility is MUCH better in breatheables vs. neoprene. It's not even close. Since I tried breatheables about 12-13 years ago, the only time I've put on neoprene was for a photoshoot.

10. Bubba

Bubba Senior Refuge Member

I only wear uninsulated breathables. I tried on a pair of Banded insulated breahables and they are way too hot for my liking, I would die if i had to walk any distance in those things. I'll stick to layering.