Breathable waders

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Sunklands, Oct 3, 2017.

1. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

I was thinking about getting Frog Togg stocking foot's for 80 bucks. The only thing I don't like about them is they're gray. Has anyone spray painted breathables?

2. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

Sears & Roebuck Red Ball or Hodgemen canvas.

callinfowl and Fowler267 like this.
  3. 4scout

4scout New Member

Will the Cabelas breathables keep you warm enough on very cold days such as 10-15 degrees? 600 grams of insulation in the boots seems low.

4. sylvanwilson

sylvanwilson Senior Refuge Member

Agree on cabelas. They are good....but what about Breathable and insulated. I had a pair of Banded they lasted 3 years with lots of usage...not hard usage though. Crotch started leaking.
    I don't like the boots -- too slick.
    What other options or opinions??

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Get them 1 size larger, and then either good socks, or, for me, a thick poly-pro liner. I have hunted in -20. Waders were so frozen I got out of them and stood them up alongside the truck.
    Then, you layer according to the temps. Easier for your skinny guys. I can get 3, maybe 4 layers if needed. Last hunt, it was 25 degrees, I wore lined Drake wader pants and poly union suit. Poly pro liner socks, fairly thick smart wool socks, and my liners.

California Flyway likes this.
  6. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Love it !:yes:tu

7. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

I believe the first time I ever went on an "official" duck hunt, the guy who took me, which was a small guy loaned me a pair to wear. They were all green and white on the inside. I was just a kid and they were still big on me. I remember them being very stiff, very cold, and developing a leak down around a boot. I remember that guy, who was a Korean War veteran, calling a couple mallards in and letting me shoot them. I was trying real hard to be tuff for him cause my boot was full of water, when he called in a sprig and let me shoot it. My first run in with waders was not a good one but the hunt was. He's past away now but I remember those waders every time I look at that sprig on my wall.

8. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

I've had pretty much the same experience with those old canvas waders.:l:l:l
    The first time I ever saw neoprene waders I thought they were the cats meow. Now you couldn't give a pair to me after wearing breathables for so many years, granted I do live in Kali. and it doesn't get very cold.:tu

Sault Ste. Marie and cast&blast like this.
  9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I prefer a bigger boot size and good wool socks to extra thinsulate. I get excited about cold weather just because I can wear my wool socks.

10. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

Anything over 600 grams is just a sales gimmick. The more you compress insulation the less it works.