~Breeder Question~

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by 2fowl, Dec 25, 2006.

1. 2fowl

2fowl Senior Refuge Member

Hello everyone,

Has anyone heard of Feather Ranch Kennels in Los Banos,Ca.?

I'm going to buy a lab pup, and a guy I ran into hunting said to give this guy a try.....Now I don't know anything about this breeder, and was wondering if anyone has info good/bad...

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.:D

Thanks,
    2Fowl.

2. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

After doing a Google search, there was information available. The Internet is only a starting point on evaluating breeders and searching for a pup. Get some references from the breeder. Go see the kennel. Look at the studs and watch their dogs work. Then contrast and compare with others. :cool:

3. 2fowl

Thank you for the reply KwikLabs......

What kind of "red flags" should I be looking for?:) I haven't been down this road before....and I'm not to sure what to look for.(as far as breeders are concerned):eek:

Thanks

2Fowl.

4. ABREOJOS

ABREOJOS Elite Refuge Member

I purchased an FC sired pup from Phil at Feather Ranch 13 years ago, although displastic in one hip, he became a MHR and was the best hunting dog I have ever had.

Be sure to examine the pedigree of the litter in question. I would recommend getting a pup with a parent with an FC title or least a couple of FC's in the grand parents. You should be able to find a pup with these credentials at a reasonable price.

Do not be afraid to fly in a pup. It costs a couple of hundred dollars more, but often you can find quality breedings for less money in other parts of the country.I purchased my 13 mos old in Alaska. The sire is a well known FC and the mom is a littermate to a well known FC. The total cost, including shipping, was under $1000

Talk to members knowlegable about retriever lines at your local retriever club. Different lines produce different types of dogs. Some dogs produce fire breathers while others may produce sensitive dogs that may not have enough go when not bred with a bitch that will contribute some drive.

5. Mike Perry

Mike Perry Elite Refuge Member

6. 2fowl

E-Mail sent...

7. Brian Moyse

Brian Moyse Senior Refuge Member

I purchased a pup from Phil about 7 years ago that was FC/AFC sired. He has been a wonderful dog. I am not sure if Phil is doing that much breeding to FC/AFC sires any more, I think he may have his own sires that he is using. My experience with him was fine, but I guess it really depends on exactly what you are looking for from the puppy.

My yellow "puppy" from Phil http://www.sunriseretrievers.com/Stud Dogs.htm

Brian

8. 2fowl

Thanks for info Brain....I need all I could get.:yes

2Fowl.