Bringin her in for the night

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by MindTrikCallr, Dec 31, 2003.

1. MindTrikCallr

MindTrikCallr Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Hope is a little over a year and mainly stays outside...thats just the way it is...she comes in and visits at night, but she stays in the kennel at night most of the time...well, tonight there are a LOT of fireworks going on..LOUD ones and it is just easier to bring her in for the night than to fix a gun shy problem from a air cannon landing in her kennel and startling her......might want to bring em in if you have it going on....just a suggestion..

2. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Good suggestion. I hope everyone thought of it ahead of time.

Fireworks were what ruined my BLF years ago, although it didn't happen while she was outdoors. As far as I could figure it out, some kids must have been playing around in the street outside while I was at work and she was in her crate in the kitchen. I came home and she had gone bonkers on me. From that point on she was not only gun shy but had thunderphobia also.

3. Fetch

Fetch Elite Refuge Member

This past 4th of July I had my new Lab Val (4 mo) at the lake with us & there were fireworks everywhere, for days.

I decided to use them to my advantage.

I had her bumpers & toys near by & everytime a loud bang went off I threw her dummy & praised the heck out of her - soon she would come to me wanting to fetch everytime a bang went off - Kept me (us ) pretty busy but it sure made her want to retrieve when she hears a bang - when it came time to shoot over her (Not a flinch)

- How you act & what you do to situations helps them learn - You should always try to relate everything to a hunting expirences & out think them & mold them to do & think what you want them too - they are alot smarter & adaptable than many give them a chance to be

4. MindTrikCallr

I was asleep...I dont want to throw bumpers from midnite to 2 am...:D ...Good suggestion though...

5. Fetch

Fetch Elite Refuge Member

I hear ya - But were you pizzed about the fireworks ??? could he she sense that ??? they follow your lead on most everything

as far as all night the fireworks went on till way after midnight - that was the time I worked on NO & Go lay Down - (more than likely had her in bed & saying thats ok & petting her) :rolleyes: & not now - I don't shoot ducks at night either ;)

6. MindTrikCallr

Nah...I wasnt pizzed at all...She wasnt scared of the ones going off...she acted like people were shooting...perked up and looked in that direction...I just didnt want a stray bottle rocket from the neighbor to shoot into the kennel and have her poop her doggie house:l

7. chewyjackson

chewyjackson Senior Refuge Member

My BLF is only 10 weeks old, and not yet accustom to gunfire.

So, 11:30-12:30 we were outside playing. The noise became a "no big deal" thing because she was too busy hapily playing.