Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Bringing Shotgun into Canada for Hunting Trip

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by greeny87, Aug 10, 2016.

1. greeny87

greeny87 New Member

I am hunting in Alberta this fall, and I would like to take my own shotgun. I looked online, and it said something about sending in paperwork 3 months in advance, and I also saw that you just need paperwork when you are at customs, but they must see you sign it.

Can anyone give me a little clarification on the process I need to to follow to bring my gun with me on the hunt?

Much appreciated.

2. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

You just need to fill out the paperwork at the border. There is I believe a $25 fee for taking each gun across. I have had a PAL permit since that was required and don't have to fill out the paperwork or pay the $25 fee.

3. greeny87

greeny87 New Member

Even when flying across? I know most drive, but we are flying in.

4. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

You will clear customs the same whether flying or driving. You can fill out the form in advance and have it ready which will save about 10 minutes. The form can be downloaded from the RCMP website.

Non-resident Firearms Declaration
    GRC 5589e

5. morduks

morduks Elite Refuge Member

All this has been discussed many times. The SEARCH function is your friend. Specifically, search on CFAC 909 form. You will see discussion about making 3 duplicate originals and not signing until CD Customs Agents asks you too. You will also see discussions and comments about pre-approval via fax for Saskatoon and other airports which may or may not be available to you. Remember the airport that counts is the first one you fly into from the US. If that airport is on the list then you are golden. I schedule my flights to enter Canada ONLY at airports that accept pre-approval via fax. Have fun.
    Tom B.

6. TNDuckMaster

TNDuckMaster Refuge Member

As Tom B. said, it's simple and easy. I faxed my form to the Saskatoon Airport and received it back in 2 days.

7. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I've hunted in Canada many times and always just filled out the paperwork at home and signed it at Customs, and I've ONLY flown into Canada. While I've been held up at Customs a couple of times in routine random checks, the guns have never been an issue. Don't think it's ever taken me more than five minutes to clear them. Most of the time the official didn't even open the hard case.

And, you definitely want to take your own gun. The paperwork required to borrow one is a serious pain, and you are technically required to have it while in the field. Don't know if it has recently changed, but you were required to have paperwork signed by the local RCMP. Once had a friend who planned to just shoot one of my guns, and we didn't know it was an issue until we arrived. Local RCMP was several hours away. Called the local warden, and he told us not to worry about it as he wouldn't ask. I would not count on that everywhere though.

8. wvlippo

wvlippo Senior Refuge Member

If you are driving in do you need to register your gun at the US border when you leave to make it easier to get back in? I've heard some friends say yes and some say its not needed.

9. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Basically it's not easier if you stop at the US side and register your guns. But it will prove you took them with you and didn't buy them out of the country.

10. mink creek drake

mink creek drake Senior Refuge Member

I have a PAL, on my second 5 year renewal. Just as Ken says a PAL holder does not have to fill out paper work or pay a fee to take guns across. The PAL is a Canadian picture ID and it helps at the border crossing or at the airport. The PAL is worth the effort to acquire it.