Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Bringing Shotgun into Canada for Hunting Trip

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by greeny87, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Littleboots

Littleboots Senior Refuge Member

You need to pre register if possible. Why if you get to airport and they refuse entry or computer down. Twice in last five years I have seen groups trying to decide what to do when one was refused entry at airport. I believe if you have the approval on gun that would pretty well assured you are getting in. They have really tighten down. No DUI's or certain other offenses. The DUI's get a lot of people

2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

What is not mentioned here, make sure you hold onto the paperwork after you're in Canada, as you will need it again when coming back into the US. This is so the US can confirm that you are only bringing back those firearms that you took up there.

3. luvtwohunt

luvtwohunt Senior Refuge Member

This is all that is required!

4. shermanmd

shermanmd Senior Refuge Member

Do you need to have the firearm in a locked case when crossing the boarder or just have a trigger/cable lock?

5. buddyb01

buddyb01 New Member

Been going for 15 years crossing in NDak, only put my gun and backup in soft sided gun cases...no trigger lock. I don't believe they have ever looked at it. Normal procedure is they ask why you are going to Canada and when you tell them hunting, they ask about amount of weapons, alcohol, tobacco, and ammunition ....they will also ask if you have any pistols...answer better be NO!...They will ask you to pull over and go inside fill out your form pay 25 and be on your way ....pretty simple. If you have over your allotted amount of alcohol, tobacco, or ammunition you may or may not have to pay an import tax.

6. old duckman

old duckman New Member

If you want to make it real easy on yourself, put a trigger lock on or hard case & disassemble, same as when your driving around in Canada , believe me all the border patrol officers & police officers in general don,t know but think they know the laws , when locked or disassembled you save yourself time especially at the border. I shoot in N.Y. State & I find they are much more relaxed when they see a firearm locked or disassembled even if it's not required by law going & coming back to Canada!
    All the Best, John

7. morduks

morduks Elite Refuge Member

I agree with John. We travel with our guns in locked cases AND put a trigger lock on them. In the few times that someone has asked me to pull the firearm from its case to look at the Serial No they have always noted with approval the trigger lock. Now if the airline loses our bag and asks for your keys at the airport so they can inspect the firearm while you go to your destination and they promises to deliver the bag to you, BE SURE to have a second trigger lock key in your possession because those keys you leave at the airport will never EVER be seen again. Hint: youtube has some excellent videos on how to open trigger locks and such. Very helpful.
    Tom B.

8. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I faxed my gun paperwork to Edmonton office, got it back within 24 hours, got our luggage, showed the approved gun form to the Canadian official and we were out the door in no time. Another member of our party went through the processing at airport and it added around 20 minutes to getting through the airport.

9. morduks

morduks Elite Refuge Member

Yep, fax and FLY! Very slick. Too bad not available in all provinces and all airports.

Tom B.

10. JEvansCT

JEvansCT Senior Refuge Member

First time not flying direct into SK and instead fly into Toronto with almost a 3 hour layover. Bummed they don't have pre approval but we have plenty of time.