Brittany Dog

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Seth Gallamore, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Seth Gallamore

Seth Gallamore Refuge Member

does anyone hunt with a Brittany dog my wife knows a breeder and we were wanting to know the temperament around kids and the training abilities

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

As with any breed, a Brittany's temperament and aptitude will depend much more on that of its parents and grandparents than its breed. I've had excellent "luck" with Brittanys as family, field and marsh dogs, but I did my homework bought pups from blood that helped engender it.

3. Cappy_TX

Cappy_TX Elite Refuge Member

The first of the nine gun dogs I've raised and trained over my 76 years. Lady, a liver and white female Brittany, was as competent in the wetlands as she was in the upland fields. Was raised with two kids and they all loved each other.

Lady-1970.jpg

4. Seth Gallamore

Thank y’all for the information I’ve always had labs and my wife and daughter love the way the Brittany look

5. volsquackhead

volsquackhead Refuge Member

They can make very fine duck dogs. The only downside is they are not very well suited for cold(er) water.

6. Seth Gallamore

7. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

My Brittany was a gigantic pansy. He also was not a good upland dog. He did love the water and retrieved alto of ducks. He was also one of the more intelligent dogs I have owned. They are poorly suited for cold water/weather.

8. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

My last one was a better mother to my son in his first year than his own mother was. Stellar dog with children of all ages. Stellar upland bird dog. Could and did, swim circles around a lab. Cold water was not her forte.