Browning steel shot

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by renoduckman, Jul 9, 2017.

1. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Picked up a couple boxes of the 20 gauge 2's last year for the wife. She killed a lot of ducks and geese with it. Never patterned it but she's happy with the results

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Both the Bind Side wads and the Federal Flite Control wads are controlled release type wads, they are designed to release shot at certain distance after firing. Usually choking them does very little to change this vs a conventional wad that you can get a bit more out of with the right choke. Probably why Federal went to a more flexible Flite Control wad, they would conform to a choke better.

3. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

That's what I was thinking but then I read an article talking about the BXD where it states that a tighter choke actually activates the wad. It actually states that it's designed to be used in modified on up. I'll try and find that article.

4. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

No kidding. If I didn't still have the 2 unopened cases of nitro steel that I didn't need from the $100 a case rebate a couple years ago I'd order some.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Flipping through channels, and saw a waterfowl show, Avian X I think. They were shooting the Browning ammo. They explained the wad was designed for open chokes, no tighter than Mod. In other words, they wad does all the choking.
    What caught my eye was the slo-mo shots. You could see the wads flying past the bird. First time I saw it, I thought it was a shell, which didn't make any sense. Then I realized it was the wad.
    They were killing birds, so there is that.

6. buck_master_2001

http://www.wildfowlmag.com/reviews/browning-bxd-waterfowl-shotshell-review/

"The Browning wad is slit into six panels, each of which bulge as it moves through the air, adding to the wind resistance and stripping the wad from the shot. Exactly when the shot separates from the wad is a question mark, but the wads recovered during pattern testing flew within a few yards of the 40-yard target.

Conventional wisdom has always been to shoot more open chokes with steel shot, hence skeet or improved cylinder for ducks and modified for geese. Not so with BXD Waterfowl. In fact, the box recommends, “Works best in modified, improved modified or full chokes.”

Frank said with the style of wad there were variances in point of impact with open chokes, but the tighter three provided both the friction to begin wad and shot separation and also steadied the shot column for proper accuracy.

Read more: http://www.wildfowlmag.com/reviews/browning-bxd-waterfowl-shotshell-review/#ixzz4mim9X4uE

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Yea, I didn't quote you to make it seem you were wrong. Maybe they are mis-informed. Just what they said.

8. buck_master_2001

I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to do it in a prick way. Just trying to keep it accurate. It's all good. I don't need a long distance shell so I really have no purpose for these. Sucks because the price is right. Then again. Who knows if they truly are a long Distance shell as they claim?

9. Native NV Ducker

Cool.
    Personally, I think those type wads do help. My concern has always been, what if you work the birds in to 20 yards. Then what. Your info post says the wad flys 40 yards. In the video I was watching, the wads were going a good 10 yards past the birds, so they had them at 30 yards? There was lots of shooting, and not a lot of birds falling. Makes you wonder if tight patterns at distance aren't always the answer.

10. 4 BUCK

4 BUCK Senior Refuge Member

Rebate must be off, doesn't show anything about it on Macks website?