Browning steel shot

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by renoduckman, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Seaark18

Seaark18 Senior Refuge Member

I wondered the same thing. Can't find rebate info on Macks or Brownings sites.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I was thinking about this as I installed my back-up camera in my truck this evening. I remember now 'why' they were saying to use a more open choke. (I recognize that Browning says otherwise)....
    They explained that since the wad works so well, choke isn't needed. To go along with that, if you DO use a tighter choke, it would compress the shot column lengthwise, thus elongating it. He said using the more open chokes kept the shot string shorter.

Me? I don't know. No way to prove that on paper, for sure. It just came to me that I didn't fully explain what he said on the show.

3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Controlled release type wad which is why you saw wads flying past birds in the video

4. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Makes sense. In the article I posted they did say the ammo showed signs of "slinging".

5. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

The "new" Sweet Sixteens are flying off the racks around here. You'd think Browning would have a offering in steel for them? However, if Winchester is loading them, could be the reason as Winchester dropped their own 16 gauge steel from production several seasons ago.

6. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Winchester hasn't made 16 gauge ammo in the U.S. for around 20 years now, it's all farmed out to Winchester, Australia before that they had Fiocchi making it, read the side panels of the boxes.
    IMG_0055_zps2genc277.jpg

ronaldo likes this.
  7. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Refuge Member

Exactly, save yourself to the poor house.

8. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Refuge Member

Rebate doesn't start until August 1st.

9. 4 BUCK

4 BUCK Senior Refuge Member

Anyone know if this is a clean burning shell?

10. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

I bought a box to try in my 20ga nova. This gun really likes #4 blue box federals, putting 160 average on the paper at 35 yards. 88% factory mod choke

I shot the #2 brownings at 25 yards and had between 118 and 120 in a 20" circle every time. I backed up to 35 yards and had a 109 average. It was a very even distribution, just a little thin for my liking. But when you're only starting with 120 pellets, that's to be expected. 90% factory mod choke

I can likely get better all around performance from $10 per box federals. Maybe I'll save the brownings for a windy day. If I could find them in #3, I might buy some more to try.

By the way, wads went thru the paper at 35 yards.