Brutal, just plain brutal.

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by salthunter, Dec 23, 2017.

1. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Brutal, just plain brutal.
    Three of us met at the field just before 10AM. The geese were still on two small roosts. Not a single goose in the city parks, school yards or golf courses.
    5 inches of fresh snow and the wind was picking up.
    The wind chill dropping.

" Do you think it's worth it" " I brought shells, Full bodies wont work.
    I stated we were here, may as well hunt; Minutes later trying to find the small pit blind covered with snow, the wind biting my face,. " It just may not be worth it."
    Parking the truck, walking back to the blind 4 snow geese started to land in the decoys. My dog saw the birds and slowly layed down, trying to hide. 35 yards from the blind, killed my first snow goose in 10 years.

30 minutes in the blind and Holly my 15 year-old dog seemed happy to head back to the truck and wait this hunt out.
    As I was headed back to the blind a flight of geese disappeared in the drifting ground blizzard, shots rang out, all geese easily escaped.
    The driving snow froze our guns, firing pins,return springs,safeties., and our face and fingers.
    Sometimes only one shot per flock . Geese flew so low at times they were lower elevation than us. 6, 7 flocks came in wingtip high, with plans to land on the blind. Geese just feet away hooked the wind and were gone.
    The screaming wind was really something. One decoy just 9 feet away would completely disappear.
    Ive hunted in windstorms, cold -10, -15, -20 below dozens of times,snow storms, pouring rain, lightning , but this day the wind and snow was kicking our butts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  2. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Looks like a perfect day to be in that blind. Decent stack of birds too. But yeah, brutal is probably an understatement!

3. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Looks like heaven to me.Up until last week guys are still putting on bug apart and sunscreen.Your in Idaho correct.

4. salthunter

Yes SE Idaho.
    While there are geese in many parts of Idaho, and with the few geese we have wintering 50,000 in the whole state, Idaho kills a big percentage of geese that show up.
    But with yesterdays weirdness, mid day geese we were thinking we have some new birds. Ill find out today!!!
    We still have open water on all but the high elevation waters.So regional birds are still scattered.

5. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

I use my full bodies with my shells but I don't use the bases on them in that type of cold weather.

6. salthunter

Some days thts just faster in the deeper snow anyway.!!

We left my honker decoys in the truck.
    We both had 6 lesser FB decoys . When we were first on the field we set my decoys with stands between the furrows in about 12 inches of snow.
    We placed the one fellows 6 decoys bellied in.

As the wind picked up the snow cleared around the decoys my decoys we just worked th e decoys in the stands lower

7. Neckband4

Neckband4 Senior Refuge Member

How did that Sitka gear work out for ya?

8. salthunter

The snow driving though cracks, sleeves neck, face and hands then melting< I swapped out two pairs of gloves. I was wearing an ArticCat neck gator
    Cabeals fleece face mask, then a Kings snow camo beanie
    Bottoms:
    Kings wet weather bibs,
    2 Cabelas poly ,
    HEAT Spandex/RAYON
    DU fleece union suit
    Top:
    HEAT
    2 Layers Cabelas Poly
    Sitka hoody
    Kuiu outer shell.

Boots:
    Sorel-60 packs
    It was warm out, 27 degrees, but the driving snow was the painful part. There were times we could not see the nearest decoys 4 yards away.
    The one guy brought his gun from his warm house and pickup,.. the driving snow melted then froze.
    I kept my action covered.
    Today was a good hunt,.. Good company, light winds, sometimes geese coming out of the fog was a problem, perfectly decoying birds.

9. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Dude ,tell them geese it's time to move down here,we have had Very little migration.We have some nice fresh alfalfa and barley and 60 degree weather for them.lol.

10. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

I think you need a new lid system on your pit.