Brutal, just plain brutal.

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by salthunter, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Spencer5100

Spencer5100 Elite Refuge Member

Doesn't sound like much Sitka to me ;)

2. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Not sure what lids salthunter is using but what types of lids would keep that amount of snow and wind out when your trying too watching and calling for birds unless your pit is a bunker with a periscope in it?:scratch

3. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

My comment was more of a joke than anything but I could see lids than slide/roll being used. Ones that have the heavy tarp material under the grass that can be pulled as closed as possible could work, etc. Like I said it was more of a joke than anything.

BirdJ likes this.
  4. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Try ski goggles next time it is snowing and blowing. Makes all the difference in the world.

BirdJ likes this.
  5. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Been there, done that especially wearing glasses! Not that hard up anymore to kill a goose or a duck in those conditions!:no

6. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

It's not hardup that's when it gets challengeing(fun)!

7. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I own 2 Sitka base layer hoodies . They make great cold weather sleepwear and base layer. Both were gifts from my daughter who paid 40% of retail. Still good stuff . But obviously Im more of a Cabelas brand cold weather clothes guy.

We were building slider lids .Our other small pit has them, We had the materiel ready to cut, a disgruntled worker took it off the flatbed, his last day on the job.
    We had the pit closed except for the opening I was watching , one fellow had gone back to the truck and the other was keeping warm in the corner.

mpkowal : We hadn't hunted together all year. I was the only one who had killed a limit of geese for the year We knew pretty much when the birds would fly. After setting the decoys out it got bad,,.. but we didn't need to wait long to finish two limits.
    And yes it will be a memorial hunt.
    We have had more wind and today it was 46 degrees. I picked up 22 empty shells in and around the pit and maybe a dozen full shells from pockets and boxes today , so 36 shells to kill 8 geese, shells that were missed and lost in the snow,.. some blown 30 feet away.. Most of our shots were one or two shots at a time. It was one of those days you shot once, the birds hooked and were gone and 15 seconds later shooting at another group or maybe some from the flockthat worked back. Geese trying to set down just feet infront of the end shooter position, time after time after time.
    There is only one other person Im willing to hunt the cold with other than these two. All three work construction. Each know how to dress for cold conditions.
    After the decoys were picked up,, It was fun.
    Two of us hunted yesterday,.. we killed our birds, 10 shots 8 birds( yes it was me: twice I missed on a first shot. In two years we wont even know that hunt happened.

8. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Thanks,hopefully the Doc clears me today to go out Tuesday,lots of un-hunted birds in our spot right now.If you guys are warm you know it's warm here,but they still go out to feed and should come back to this spot to loaf in the late morning.Some days they feed again some days they just leave,I havnt found their roost but maybe that's ok
    It's supposed to get bad again end of next week,the 6th,season closes in that county the 7th.Now I just wait for the Doc.:pra

9. BennyE

BennyE New Member

I feel your pain salthunter, we got after a few last weekend here in Ontario. The forecast called for -12 C, and 15 km winds, which would have been manageable...instead we got about 70 km winds and driving snow like you described. :l Myself and a buddy stuck it out and shot our 10, the two other fellas that we were out with decided that sitting in the truck was a more comfortable option. :h The wind was whipping our layout doors open, filling calls with snow and freezing them up, autos became single shots, all the really fun stuff. :yes But I did get one of my favourite pictures capturing the atmosphere of the late season grind.

EF651EEA-A65C-46B5-9823-52CE21710DEF.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017