Buffleheads decoys

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by jbrown, Jan 18, 2017.

1. jbrown

jbrown Elite Refuge Member

Who makes the best commercial Bufflehead decoy?

2. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

The best I've seen are Dixie Decoys. They are flocked urethane with some sort of super hard paint. They have keels molded in like the old Herters. I think Homer's are right in there with them though if you are looking for something to finish yourself. Some of his distributors also paint them as an option.

3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

GHG by far but they only make drakes but the ducks don't care. We use a dozen drakes in our diver/sea duck spread.

4. 7summits

7summits Senior Refuge Member

GHG here as well. I only have four in my diver set, but I have had numerous BH's land in the decoys while I am still setting.

5. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I've got GHG & some Higdons also. I'm thinking of buying some of the Homer decoys----they look excellent. The trouble I see with some of these decoy makers, is they're missing the boat by not making hen decoys,IMO.
    I want a natural looking rig, which must include hens. Heck, for most of each season, the majority of the buffies are hens anyhow.
    What I've done, since I've been a decoy painter for 51 years or so, is I end up painting half the drakes into hens, & I get a good looking buffie spread!

Ringbill

6. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

I bought the Higdon Battleship Buffleheads. They are foam filled!! They are a big decoy and looks great on the water! I few stray pellet's-NO PROBLEM. I threw 3 decoys away of another brand due to bullet holes. I also bought the cans in battleships. Hoping I can find a sale at the end of the season. Thanks fireduck

7. duckbutler

duckbutler Senior Refuge Member

half the "hens" you see are really immature drakes. Use more hens now and it'll pull the drakes 3 w one drake on one side and 5 w 2 drakes on the other

8. TonyH

TonyH Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

IF you want painted check our dealers. Storm Decoys makes a mean Bufflehead decoy and they will finish them how ever you want them drake/hen on a custom order basis. Also check out Old Guys Decoys as well. We have several others who can finish them. Or do them yourself its fun and not as hard as you might think.

9. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

GHG

10. Chris Daniels

Chris Daniels Refuge Member

Tanglefree migration series in our spread