Building a blind from conduit and fencing

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by darkvibe, Jul 4, 2017.

1. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

I need to build a 2 or 3 man blind for the edge of our beaver swamp. It will be on solid dry ground. It will be used in one place but has to be movable. We have to move it into the woods after each hunt and remove it at the end of the year.

I've decided to make panels out of 3/4 EMT conduit by welding it together then putting plastic fence on those and attaching vegetation to the fence. Maybe a 4x10 panel for the front. A taller panel for the rear, possibly with a roof and adding rain protection under the fencing. I can zip tie the panels together to assemble the blind in the field and cut them when we move it.

Anyone have any pics or maybe done something similar and have advice?

I'm thinking something roughly this shape

Attached Files:

2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

That's very doable.

The Paul's Pond guy out in Washington had a blind built along those lines.

If you don't have to move it very far, you can build a decent blind out of pallets bolted together. It is heavy.

Being in New York, I assume you hunt some cold weather? Cardboard is free and makes a good, fairly durable insulation.

3. GetDuck

GetDuck Elite Refuge Member

by the time you screw around with all of that; just buy a tanglefree panel blind.

4. darkvibe

That looks cool but $300 and it doesn't cover my back. Ouch.

5. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

I use the green diagonal fencing from home deport for like $11 a roll when I want a blind on my boat. In your part of the world you'll probably want oak branches as camo. Finding a camo source is the hardest part of all of this. I use palmetto and small palm fronds and it can take days to get enough material.

The conduit is easy and cheap. Might be easier to drill and screw together vs welding as you can disassemble at the end of the year and throw into a garage or barn. My boat blind, is screwed together and, is sitting at one end of the garage and new rolls of plastic fencing from Home Depot sitting on top of it still in the plastic wrap.

I cannot over stress the importance of a camo source if you have never done this sort of thing.

Ringbill and darkvibe like this.
  6. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I did exactly what you are describing but I used ABS plastic drain pipe. It worked great. Large enough for 3 hunters and was light enough for 1 person to move easily. Rather than attaching the fencing you may want to consider putting hooks on the top rails of the frame and hang the fencing from them. I didn't glue the joints so it is easier to move, take apart and store.

Ringbill and darkvibe like this.
  7. darkvibe

I have some of the green fence already. My dad gave it to me when I mentioned this project.

Not a lot of oak trees around here but it does make nice camo with the leaves that hang on till after the season. I'll be hunting from a gap in the hedgerow. Beaver swamp is in front of us. Well, more of a pond than swamp. Corn field is 8 feet behind us. Standing corn early in the season. They'll cut the corn in mid November. Corn stalks might be good for camo but I need a source without chopping corn down in the field the farmer let's us access.

8. GetDuck

GetDuck Elite Refuge Member

so, buy two panels tanglefree has a 25% off sale going on right now. or watch for used ones. we just picked up 6 panels for $200 each. with the "port holes" & stubble staps; they work very well.

9. GRIZZ08

GRIZZ08 New Member

here is an A-frame style blind we built last fall to hunt edges in fields and around ponds with...they worked great a little heavy but they come apart and lay flat in 4 pieces that fit along the side of my trailer pretty nice...they are 10' long little over 5' wide at the base and around 4' high....I added a canvas tarp to the inside to keep the windblown snow and rain out along with the high winds I have less that $100 in this blind and with the canvas tarp the next one I built has a painters tarp on the inside which saved about $40...we now hunt the two blinds next to each other which gives us 20' of our own cover

Attached Files:

10. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member