Building a blind from conduit and fencing

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by darkvibe, Jul 4, 2017.

1. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Have you considered cattle panels as your structure. Their 16' long by about 4.5' tall. If your making it 10' cut offs can make your ends. Assemble as an a frame with about 30" opening at top and 5' width at bottom. Very sturdy and heavy guage galvinised wire lasts forever. I use fastgrass backed w poultry netting to cover mine with bundles of tall grasses but a few limbs from local trees could also be used to break up outline. You can hook wind blockers to wire if needed but I,ve found the fastgrass itself to be sufficient. Frame can be moved around easily and if you back your panels with plastic netting they can be rolled up and taken away when not in use.Bring your brushing high enough over top to somewhat cover top opening.

Ringbill likes this.
  2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

We are also making some blinds with cattle fence panels. Tractor Supply. Take a 16 foot panel, cut 4 feet off for a wire tied hinged side panel to use as a swinging door.
    Do the same for a back panel and other door. Some green metal fence posts hold it up. Use brown or plastic tarp material, wire tied on as a wind and rain barrier. Brush the outside with local grasses and other growing stuff.
    I make a PVC pipe roof with two smaller diameter pvc pipe supports in the rectangle. Light and strong. I make back hinges with Harbor Freight ball bungee cords attaching the roof PVC with the cow panel top in 3 or 4 places across. I have a " V " of thin rope that is tied onto each corner of the roof in the front. I have a long bungee cord that runs from the middle of the V and back to an aluminum stake ( 1 inch L metal about 3 feet long) pounded in the ground behind the blind. We pull the hinged in the back roof down and with the right pressure, the roof will stay down and give you a slot to look out in the front and sides. 6 to 8 inches is all you need. Adjust the bungee to get it right. I used camo burlap, wire tied on the roof so you can see thru but the birds can't see you. When the time comes, you simply lift the roof a few inches, the bungee cord does its thing, the roof swings up and beyond the back of the blind, the birds are freaked out and you shoot away.
    Works freaking great.
    I am planning to add a layer of clear plastic to the roof as a rain barrier and add a number of string lines between the frame and supports to make a wide netting that will prevent the plastic from puddling in the rain. The plastic and burlap will extend back beyond the back blind panel to keep the rain water out of the blind. I have in the past, used cut leaf camo material. You can see thru the slots but it still hides you. The bad, it snags and tears easily. Bad about the burlap is it gets heavy with rain, so you have to increase the bungee cord tightness/pressure.

Ringbill likes this.
  3. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

The cattle panels should work very well, & also consider using PVC conduit & avoid the welding etc.

Ringbill

4. marshmob

marshmob Senior Refuge Member

GRIZZ

Awesome A frame! How are you connecting the front and back panel?

GRIZZ08 likes this.
  5. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

Never heard of cattle panels until you guys mentioned it here. I like the idea and it's cheap. I would have to figure out how to transport it home from the store with a 6.5 foot bed. Or just cut the 4 feet off in the parking lot then take it home.

6. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

A couple 12 foot 2x4s laid down in your bed then place the hog panel(Same Thing) down on top should help.

7. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Go to any store that sells the cattle panels, look for bent one's then make a deal to get them at reduced price. I have got them before for as little as $10 a panel. They work great as blinds.

8. GRIZZ08

GRIZZ08 New Member

marshmob the blind is in 4 pieces a 10' foot front and back piece and 2 end caps with doors in them they are connected by placing the bolts in the end caps into the end of the conduit on the 10' front and back piece then I place a 2" spring clamp on the corner and it holds them together...I can put it together by myself in under 5 min and even faster with the help of another guy...it is a very simple design that works really well...kinda stumbled on it while I was test fitting it together... if you want some more detailed pictures of how it goes together just let me know and I can get some more

9. marshmob

marshmob Senior Refuge Member

GRIZZ

If you could shoot me a couple pics of the bolt/spring connection that would be great

10. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

"Or just cut the 4 feet off in the parking lot then take it home."

Thats what I would do. You have to cut it off anyway, the ducks won't care one way or the other.

I like the idea of buying bent panels at a good discount.