building a duck impoundment- could use some input

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Reverend Colt, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Reverend Colt

Reverend Colt Elite Refuge Member

As I've mentioned in a few previous post, I am in the planning stages of building a small (1.5- 3 acre max) impoundment. The land site is a heavily wooded, fairly flat river bottom with a nearby backwater lake that could be connected too via ditch or pipeing. The lowest, most suitable portion for the impoundment is at water level. When I dug a few holes it is moist top soil for a few inches, then watery river sand for a 12"- 20", then it appears to hit clay. As I shoveled the holes they filled back up with water just as fast as I took it out. Kind of like digging hole at the beach. There is a natural rise of about 2 1/2' of berm around the edges of where I'm looking to build it.

My original thoughts were to enhance the berms, install watercontrols and flood it but I don't think I can afford to keep it pumped full of water. I believe it will weep through the sand back into the water table. My next thoughts are to dig it out down to the clay but it will be filling up as fast as we dig it obviously, and water level will be uncontrolable for the most part. My main equipment is a IH/Dresser 175c track loader and to be honest I'm a little nervous about getting it in the water and getting it marred up. It's running on the skinnier tracks after all. Any of your thoughts or experiences will be appreciated. I'll try to take and post some pictures tomorrow if that will help.

2. Reverend Colt

This piece of property is very close to a power dam on the river. Upon investigating a little further today, indeed I DO NOT have clay under the river sand.

Heres a pcouple pics of the general bottom area I'd like to build a duck pond in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a couple pics of a long skinny pond created by a low area at the base of the hill that filled up from the risen water table due to damming the river.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Reverend Colt

Heres the hole I dug yesterday in the lowest portion and you can see the water table is just right under the topsoil
    [​IMG]

3 1/2foot ground rod
    [​IMG]

sunk to the handle and just keeps going = NO CLAY HERE
    [​IMG]

Another hole I started digging 100 yards away
    [​IMG]

Any thoughts or ideas ???

4. purlin12

purlin12 Senior Refuge Member

Rent a bobcat with backhoe attachment. I would dig about 3 feet becuase the ducks really like shallow water. But a really nice spot and it has great optental.
    hardcore

5. Reverend Colt

I know nothing about rice other than how to cook it, but the other thread got me to thinking. How would rice do in these shallow ponds and would it do much for the ducks? SO far, clearing around the edges and planting jap. millet is the plan.

6. notnarbt

notnarbt Senior Refuge Member

my question first off would be is there waterfowl that currently uses the property in the fall and winter?.....Im talking numbers.....not one or 2 here and there.....because if this is the case you are never going to have what you want! The birds go where they want no matter how much habitat improvement you do....this has been seen in ark. over and over where people sell there land saying great duck hunting but its to far off the flyway and the people get burnt after spending big $$$$.....

7. Reverend Colt

I'm out of the flyway. What I've got is decent resident wood duck numbers and a few mallards. The available ducks are using this and the neighboring ponds.

8. Powerstrokn247

Powerstrokn247 Elite Refuge Member

Transplant a few beavers:yes

They will build it much cheaper

9. CaptSanner295

CaptSanner295 Elite Refuge Member

Beavers sound like the ticket!

10. Reverend Colt

I've already got beavers. they will not be any help here. that water in the picture is not moving. It's a pond that formed just from the raised watertable due to daming the river. there are no creeks in there to damn up either. I think I've got it figured out though, but we'll see.