building a duck impoundment- could use some input

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Reverend Colt, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Reverend Colt

Reverend Colt Elite Refuge Member

Alright folks, fast forward to today.

I've spent the last month turning this-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

into this-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Basically I cut out everything on the east side that was not an oak and a few on the right side that were hanging out into the canopy too much or just blocking too much sun from getting in. As you can see I significantly opened the tree canopy over the pond and back up the bank for a dozen yards or so.

[​IMG]

We dug out the stumps of the vast majority of the trees. Then we cut and dug out some of the dirt to increase the size of the pond and increase the amount of shallow water. Due to the extreme drought and the trees in this bottom sucking the water up, the pond is down about 2 1/2feet from winter full.
    [​IMG]

Today I planted a little bit of corn in the moist soil, and broadcast 25lbs of a bird seed mix (white proso millet, milo, sunflowers, some wheat, etc.) on a few areas. I'm hedgeing my bets here you might say. I've also got 100lbs of Japenese Millet to plant in the very near future.

SO heres the question, I'm in northern SC. When should I plant the jap millet? Should I plant half now and half in a few weeks possibly? How would you manage the rest of this so that when the water comes back up around Sept./ Oct. we a have some flooded grains to help feed the ducks when the season opens close to Thanksgiving?

2. Okvet

Okvet Elite Refuge Member

wow--you've done a lot of work. I hope it pays dividends this season. I'd give the jap millet at least 60 days to mature so figure the date you want to hunt it or your first average freeze and count back 60 days--that's when it needs to be in the ground.

3. Powerstrokn247

Powerstrokn247 Elite Refuge Member

wow Rev, looking good.

Now is there a dam, b/c it looks like a creek or did you widen the creek? Just trying to figure it out a bit

4. Reverend Colt

Powerstrokn, there is no creek feeding it. It's a big river bottom very close to a hydro power dam on the river. When they built the dam and backed up the water it raised the water table to just under the surface. That pond is a low spot next to the hill were the water just comes out of the ground. It's really just about a 175 yards by 15 yard mosquito hole that I'm trying to turn into a bar and grill for the local woodducks and the occasional lost mallard or diver. Some other folks have an impoundment close by that's loaded with duckweed.

5. Reverend Colt

Thanks Okvet, I was thinking olong those same lines but thought I might ought to give it more time to mature planting it this late in the season. I've been doing duck boxes for several years but this is my first time having my own piece of private property to do something with.

6. Powerstrokn247

oh ok I gotcha, so pretty much you have opened the canopy and widened it a bit. Gotcha.

As for the re-flooding are you just praying for rain or will that hydro dam flood on perfect schedule and produce enough groundwater slowly?

7. Reverend Colt

A little of both. WE are in Exceptional Drought right now, past Severe. So the lack of rain and big hardwoods in the bottom have dropped the level a couple/3 feet. I'm banking on the rain in the fall and the trees going dorment to fill it back up.

8. Powerstrokn247

Gotcha....

Im right there with you bud, I have drawn down 2 of my three beaver ponds at the club and planted, im praying for some rain this year. The ponds only came back up a few inches last year so we'll see...

Deff. keep us updated

9. Reverend Colt

I just wanted to take a minute and post an update and ask a question in the process. I planted most of it with jap. millet about July 27. The remainder was planted on Aug. 20th. Unfortunelty, soon after germination of the youngest millet it rained about 4 inches and filled up my pond and I have no way to drain it but thats what you get when your at the mercy of mother nature. In the future I'm going to try and figure out a way to control the water atleast somewhat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this is the youngest millet under water on the shallow shelves.

[​IMG]
    shameless picture of my dog

Here is a picture of the older millet. It has formed a seed head. What can I expect from here and at what kind of timeline?
    [​IMG]

10. Reverend Colt

Anyone??? anyone??? Beuler.... Beuler???

:l:l