building a duck impoundment- could use some input

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Reverend Colt, Apr 29, 2008.

1. EHO IV

EHO IV Senior Refuge Member

You can expect the black birds to eat it all. That is what happened to our millet that was planted early in a test plot. The rest is still maturing and should be ready for the season. I am sure glad that I didn't plant all of it early.

2. Powerstrokn247

Powerstrokn247 Elite Refuge Member

Rev,

Just curious of what the status of this place was? The renovations looked interesting, just wondering if its filled back in?

3. Reverend Colt

Reverend Colt Elite Refuge Member

Yeah the 8 inches of rain we got a few weeks ago filled it up. It's came down some and I planted the remaining Jap millet I had about 2 weeks ago. Another week or so and I'm going to fertizied the acre and a half with some Weed and feed I've got. I think the count is like 32- 2- 4 or something close to that. I'll try to take a picture if I get over that way tomorrow.

4. Okvet

Okvet Elite Refuge Member

why are you using weed and feed? A lot of broadleaf weeds are very beneficial in a wetland area.

5. kdog

kdog Elite Refuge Member

How long has the dam been in place that raised the water table ?
    If its only been a year or so ...i be figuring on those trees dying back ..
    Doubt any blackbirds would go in the woods ......MILLET should be ok as long as some of it is above water level

6. kdog

kdog Elite Refuge Member

How long has the dam been in place that raised the water table ?
    If its only been a year or so ...i be figuring on those trees dying back ..
    Doubt any blackbirds would go in the woods ......MILLET should be ok as long as some of it is above water level

7. Reverend Colt

Just because I've got 40 lbs left of a 50 lb bag. To be honest with you it was given to me and I haven't read anything on the label other than the high Nitrogen content. I would fertilize it with a triple 16 just to put a better head on the last of the millet but, to be honest, I"m tapped out right now and the weed and feed was given to me. Am i screwing up?

8. Reverend Colt

Years... most of the bottom is atleast a foot to 4 feet above water table so it isn't hurting them. The swamp privets are thick tough.

9. kdog

kdog Elite Refuge Member

rev the millet looks like it could use some more sun ....millet likes open areas just like any other grass does ....Maybe open it up some more ,but if you have oaks like you posted it should be a good wood duck shoot .....

10. Reverend Colt

Heres a couple new pics for you. NOt a lot different than the old pics. Basically I've concluded that I planted well early, a little early, and too late to beat the water. I'm sure I didn't hurt the situation there any though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]