building a duck impoundment- could use some input

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Reverend Colt, Apr 29, 2008.

1. wailer

wailer Senior Refuge Member

Clear back the trees a bit more and hog wire it in to keep the varmits and predators off the birds as they use it for a safe haven. After the season release a couple suzies out there and watch the fun start.

2. cuhollow

cuhollow Refuge Member

How did it work out?

3. ODH

ODH Senior Refuge Member

I have a spot here in Oregon that looks just like yours. Mine is about 1/2 mile long though and is several ponds. Mallard heaven.

4. notnarbt

notnarbt Senior Refuge Member

what was the final outcome on this project? PICS?

5. Reverend Colt

Reverend Colt Elite Refuge Member

NOT TOO GOOD!!!

Two things killed me. Well 3 actually. 1. Cant control the water level and a big rain raised it to the top before the millet seeded, killing most of it before it dropped down again. 2. Oaks didn't make acorns. A late frost 2 springs ago killed this years acorn crop for red oaks around here. 3. No ducks in the area. Nobody is seeing ducks, atleast not to get really interested in. Woodducks aren't even in the area. It's kind of wierd really.

6. Super Swamper

Super Swamper Moderator Moderator

I have told 100 people this in the past, and damned if 100 of them don't go ahead and seed millet in April anyway. If you have grackles or blackbirds in the summer, wait as long as you can to plant!

7. knees

knees Elite Refuge Member

We've planted several different millet varities the last 3 years (mostly jap). We usually plant in late July - early August. Doesn't matter, the only seeds that don't get hammered by blackbirds are the ones that get flooded. If it's above the water, it's gonna be a magnet for blackbirds.

8. CANME

CANME Elite Refuge Member

Get some beavers like mentioned before........... THEN......

Get a recording of running water and play it around the pond area. They will work their arses off to build a higher dam! :reader

I think they did a test like that on PBS in some wetland a few years ago. I think they were using it to help control different areas they were in. if you tried and it worked....youd......be...a GENIUS. and willing to try anything.

good luck

9. Diver Down

Diver Down Senior Refuge Member

rev, you need to plant some other plants in there to a work in favor of the water levels,

personally, I would plant some rice, arrowhead, millet ( but with your case, I would go with Water Millet instead of jap millet), for starters, I would also manage this place for woodducks, the mallards and others will come, also I wouldn't hunt it for the first couple of years to let the birds get used to it, if ya get the locals to use it on a regular basis, they will bring the migrators to it:tu

one last note, there is a book out there called Ecology and Management of the Wood Duck, I suggest you get a copy and read it, it will help you a lot with getting that place set up. they also a have a book that is for doves if your interested, this book runs around $60, but is worth it, if your wanting to manage you land for woodie's:tu

good luck and keep us posted.

a side note, you should get ahold of your state waterfowl association and ask them for idea's help, you might get what you looking for and make anew friend or two out of it. just a thought.

10. wailer

wailer Senior Refuge Member

Put some corn out and a couple suzies and see what happens, if their in area it won't take long!